View Single Post
Old 15th November 2018

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I just had a quick look at his first link. The first three points he makes in this section are just not true.

He claims the EU only makes 13% of our laws but if you follow through to the deeper analysis on FullFact its actually between 13% and 65% depending on how its measured.
Depends on what you define as "law". Here's what parliament.uk has to say
https://researchbriefings.parliament...ummary/SN07092

Quote:
He claims the EU don't force their will on member countries what ?
ask Greece, ask Cypress ask Ireland. I could go on, how many referendums did they force on them? Italy can't even pass its own budget this year.
Greece had a debt crisis largely of its own making. The EU and the IMF proposed a rescue package which required Greece to follow some rules as you would expect. If rescuing a country from sovereign default is "forcing your will on [that] country" then so be it. Averting a possible economic catastrophe seems like a reasonable action to me. In the case of Ireland I believe a second referendum was held following some changes to the constitution following the first, and was not "imposed" by the EU.

Quote:
He claims the EU laws are not made by unelected bureaucrats but they actually are. The bureaucrats are not elected by the public, and can not be removed by them either.
The same is true for our civil service. Parliament decides on legislation and the (unelected) civil service enacts it. EU legislation is debated by the (elected) EU parliament and (elected) national governments via the European Council.

Quote:
I will stop at that. All he is doing is trying to protect his gravy train of a job and his gold plated pension.

Probably find that the EU funds his website on expenses as well.
O dear. What he is doing is explaining how the EU operates and clarifying some misunderstandings. Just dismissing that on the grounds that he's "protecting his gravy train of a job" is hardly a convincing argument.
Jim Ford (15th November 2018), peak4 (16th November 2018)