View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Live View and flip out LCDs

Until I started using an E-3 (last week) I never really appreciated how useful live view was, especially with the flip out LCD.

My first digital camera (the non-dSLR Olympus C5060 had a similar flip out screen, and obviously being a compact did live view. I'd briefly used an E-510. The first accessory I got for my E-1 was the angle finder, so I suppose I should have known.

I particularly like the way it lets you see in real time the effect of changes to exposure settings etc. This and a live histogram is great. And the ability to superimpose a grid on the image is great.

One feature that's lacking is something I've found surprisingly useful on my Ricoh GRD-II, is a digital spirit level. I used to always get a sloping horizon.
now I have this set to appear as default.

As usual, I don't think Olympus always get the credit for some of their innovations. A Nikon using friend saw a picture of the E-3 and can't wait for Nikon to do a swivel and live view camera.

Anyone else found features they thought might be gimmicks turn out to be essentials?