View Single Post
Old 18th August 2018

Liked 3,246 Times in 1,751 Posts
Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Meadow Grasshopper Male

Having posted images of a Bush Cricket as my first orthopteran of the year, I have another Chorthippus parallelus.

I was looking for a reappearance of the BC I had photographed the previous day when I noticed some movement in the jumbled vegetation near ground level on the rockery. On closer examination, I saw it was a male stridulating by rubbing its back legs together. By the time I returned with my camera, this time with a x2 TC behind the lens, it had stopped.

As can be seen in the images, it was very difficult to get a clear view of the subject, with many leaves and bits of dead grass stem to duck under. I managed to remove two or three of those.

This is another daylight set. Because of the time of day, the best position to shoot from would have cast a shadow over the grasshopper but it moved around enough to give some acceptable angles.

Note that the antennae are very short compared with a bush Cricket. This is a short-horned grasshopper, usually just referred to as a grasshopper. This is a species I expect to find in our garden.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f11, hand-held.

Only the third image has been significantly cropped. The stereos are crosseyed.

Harold

alfbranch (24th August 2018)