View Single Post
Old 7th July 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: This Changes Everything

I certainly am open to the possibility of eventually purchasing a Pen derivative and the thought of a lighter and smaller unit for travel purposes is attractive. However I do not as present regard one as a replacement for a DSLR, as when away from home, even for a day, I regularly use and carry at least 3 or 4 lenses. The E-P3 has a weight advantage over an E5 I agree but with the VF-2 and a FT to MFT adapter it is only about 400 grams - a lot less than a couple of pounds. When you consider that my everyday long zoom lens and the 300mm alone weigh around 4kg then the weight difference is insignificant. Being so used to zoom lenses for everyday use, as we all are, being limited to a 12mm prime is going to be a difficult compromise, anything else and the weight/size saving advantage fades.

I have a very simple Samsung 8mp compact for ultra-light family use which I am never without and, although I sometimes wish for the quality of a Pen, I cannot imagine going down that route without a zoom lens, but to do so would mean it is no longer pocketable so would probably be left at home. My wife loves the Samsung and takes dozens of excellent family shots perfect for the album, she too would probably leave a Pen with zoom at home.

Olympus are getting there and the majority of photographers will eventually own and enjoy their latest Pen offerings but they have a little further to go for me.

Thank you John for excellent notes on your experience with the E-P3

David
Melaka (7th July 2011)