Thread: LCE em1x
View Single Post
Old 8th July 2019

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts
Re: LCE em1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I feel for Olympus in many ways. The sensor size puts a cap on what our expectations are of size and price. An FF sports camera (mirrorless or DSLR) can be the size of the Nikon D5 and cost 4k, but a m43 camera that passes the 2k mark or that surpasses the size of a compact FF mirrorless (e.g. Sony A7) will be dismissed for being too big and too expensive.

And it's got nothing to do with how good the camera's features and performance are, nor whether its IQ is good enough for the intended purpose. It's just the sensor size. That's how the digital camera market has evolved.

That's why I say it was a wrong-footed move for Olympus. It was clear to me, and I think to many knowledgeable enthusiasts, that the EM1x would be seen as too big and too expensive for its sensor size by the market as a whole. I'm not saying that there aren't existing m43 users who find it right for them (as many of the wildlife guys here will attest), but that's a very small niche.

Meanwhile, we still await the EM5iii - but it looks like August may bring us good news.
This is where I think Olympus has done the right thing (so long as they can bring more AI modes soon as well), but more for it being a show piece there at the top & attracting buyers to lower models (as they come), plus it would be something Olympus would hope, along with the 150-400 lens, would stand out (hopefully) at next year's olympics.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).