View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 2,311 Times in 1,523 Posts
Re: So who's going to enforce it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
As for buses, I expect the bus companies make a considered decision on how long a stop should require switching off, based on emissions, fuel costs and effectiveness, and incorporate this into their training.

Not in my experience. I have often seen and hear buses, and particularity long distance coaches with engines left running for hours, quite literally. Likewise some lorries It is almost as if the sound of the engine provides comfort to the driver.

(I once had the joy of a long distance tour bus with its engine running outside my hotel room from 5.30 am. It didn't leave with its party of Japanese tourists until 07.40 am.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
In any case, buses are part of the solution, not the problem, moving far more passenger miles per unit emission than cars.
Buses are only the solution if they go where passengers want to go, and when, and are used. A 52 seater bus with four passengers on board is more polluting than four cars.

The problem with many rural buses is that they take such slow and circuitous routes, and run so infrequently that few people with a choice will use them. Railway branch lines were much more direct and efficient, but expensive to run.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing