View Single Post
Old 4th July 2016

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts
Re: Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4-6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack100 View Post
Bearing in mind that I used it on the Olympus body I felt that the IS was only on a par with my old Canon 300 lenses on the 1D bodies I had. Obviously this is because the body could play no part in the IS process, only the lens.

There's nothing wrong with that you may say and of course you'd be quite right but since going over to m4/3 Olympus I've felt that the ultra modern IS has moved the whole stabilisation thing a quantum leap forwards.

The lens felt plasticky to me but that's not a criticism, there are many fine lenses out there made of plastic, it's just a value judgement of mine.
I definitely didn't like the extending barrel though.
Generally it seems quite good value for money and just like the Canon 100-400 it is probably the ideal safari lens for m4/3 users.

Incidentally, Ffordes don't have the 300mm F4 in stock but thanks for the heads up anyway. If B&H in New York haven't got one then I reckon no one has!
I have both lenses, I use the Olympus 300mm Pro on my E-M1, my wife uses the Panasonic 100-400 on her E-M5 II.

Both lenses are capable of producing excellent results although I think the Olympus definitely has the edge, even with the MC-14 attached.

The Panasonic 100-400 is much lighter than the Olympus 300mm and has the flexibility that zoom lenses offer over primes however, there is usually a compromise in image quality from a zoom lens when compared to a prime lens.

I would say that the Panasonic 100-400 is a huge step forward from the Olympus 75-300mm lens, the images my wife has produced using the Panasonic 100-400 are much better than those produced by her 75-300 especially towards the 300mm end on the 75-300.

My wife tends to use the lens OIS of the 100-400 in preference to the in body IS and thinks this gives better results. She also tends to take all of her shots hand held which she has no difficulty with.

I don't think that the inability to use the dual IS system should be a reason not to buy the Panasonic 100-400, when you bear in mind that many of us have used long zooms such as the Olympus ZD 50-200, MZ 75-300 and Sigma 50-500 using in body IS only and have produced good results, why should this be different with the Panasonic 100-400?

I find the Panasonic 100-400 to be a reasonably solid piece of kit and a good lens to use, I may even end up buying another for my own use at some point in the future as I think it's probably the best long zoom lens available for the micro 4/3 system at the moment.

For those who prefer the flexibility of a zoom, the lighter weight for use as a walk around lens, the Panasonic 100-400mm is probably the lens for you.

It's not inexpensive but it costs substantially less than the Olympus 300mm Pro.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
OM USer (5th July 2016)