View Single Post
Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,467 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts
Day After Day - Living With Parkinson's

I'm looking for a project to give my photography a sense of purpose and provide me with an incentive to take more pictures. It cannot involve too much expense, including the cost of travelling, so something close to home, something part of my daily experience would be the ideal theme.

I'm thinking of documenting the little everyday actions that I used to take for granted before I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, but now cause me varying degrees of difficulty and frustration. If the project takes off and works OK, I may well publish it as another Blurb book.

To make a start and test the water I took a couple of shots this afternoon. Both have been converted to B&W as I see this as the most appropriate medium for the project. Also, both were shot at ISO 12800 because the light in my living room was very poor on such a dull day. I might well re-shoot on a brighter day with more ambient light in the room.

I would appreciate comments on whether these pictures work in portraying the message they are supposed to convey, whether the composition and situation works and any other observations that you are able to make. Thank you.

The first is an attempt to capture the tremor in my right hand. Some days it is worse than others and it can also vary quite significantly during the course of a day. When I arrived home after a very pleasant morning chatting over coffee with PeterBirder, I was in need of my lunchtime tablet, which was due. I took "advantage" of a particularly active tremor in my hand and set up the shot before I took my medication, using a shutter speed of 1/2th a second to emphasize the tremor by motion blurr.

The second shot is intended to portray the struggle I have arising from a low seat, such as our living room couch. The action is clumsy and awkward, requiring much effort from my arms to compensate for the lack of response from my legs in that position. It often takes several attempts and, although amusing for my family, it is very frustrating.

Thanks for looking.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Fearless Leader (14th November 2012), Melaka (10th November 2012)
The Following User Liked This Post:
dh202 (3rd January 2015)