View Single Post
Old 18th September 2018

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I think there are going to be a lot of very angry people next year as people that voted for Brexit lose their jobs and the value of any money they've saved.
In 2001, when there was no more than a low level background of discussion on possibly leaving the EU, nearly a decade before the financial crash and a decade and a half before the referendum, I lost my job, as did about 3,000 colleagues.

At that time we were about as embedded in the EU as we have ever been.

The value of money has dropped by about 95% since the 1960s, during which time we joined the EU.

Apportion blame where you like but these things happen independently of EU membership. Major employers dump large numbers of staff from time to time. They then recruit again after the reduction in salaries NI, etc,. has improved the bottom line.

In a (10 year) earlier exercise, some colleagues were in the "Exit Lounge", having lost their jobs and engaged in looking for new ones, only to share the room (I don't get why) with their incoming replacements and were not allowed to apply for their old jobs.

It's a nasty world out there and always will be. It has, reality, little or nothing to do with membership of the EU.

Harold
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (18th September 2018)