View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2017

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts
AF Fine Adjustment on E-M1 Mk II

EDIT: (Mon 26/6/2017) Please look here for a very good explanation of how the Mk II differs with AF to that of the E-M1 with a better understanding on how to use it. http://pen-and-tell.blogspot.com.au/...r-neue-af.html

I decided to try the 40-150 Pro with the MC14 on the new body when I heard some birds outside. Of course they weren't around when I had the camera, so I took some photos of static objects to try them out & I was disappointed with the results. I know this subject has come up before, but I feel it may need a fresh look. So I tried the lens combination on the E-M1 with fine results. After that I tried the Mk II with Magnified View select (through Fn2, MultiFunction), both with magnification on & off with much better results. My assumption with that was it was now just using CD-AF as the E-M1 was while normal AF (Mk II) was using PD-AF (S-AF). So my next move was to try AF Fine Adjustment at +10 & I got better results. From that quick & rough trial I would suggest it maybe is a good idea to now perform AF Fine Adj with all lenses since it uses PD-AF (+ CD-AF), particularly with lens combinations using a teleconverter. I will make further checks & adjustments to see if there are any differences, but if I suspect a subject is out of focus I can revert to Magnified View selection at +14 (but not with a magnified view though).

My feeling is, they gave us PD-AF with all lenses to perform like a DSLR & therefore it does perform like a DSLR; that is, needing AF Fine Adjustment as well, particularly with lens combinations. In other words, "You can't have your cake & eat it too". That is, AF Fine Adj. is needed on DSLRs & I think so does this camera (as it is provided for DSLR lenses as well as MFT lenses). While the Mk II claims Dual FAST AF system, so did the Mk I. I think a better understanding of when those Dual AF operations occur & when only one does (on each model) would result in a better AF outcome.

The following is quoted from the Mk II (Australian) web page here.
Quote:
High-speed AF system

A completely new AF system makes it possible to capture fast-moving subjects. With a Dual FAST AF system that uses the 121-point AF area for both On-chip Phase Detection AF and Contrast AF, the E-M1 Mark II delivers dramatic advancements in AF precision, tracking performance, and operability.

121-point All-cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF

This E-M1 Mark II is equipped with an 11 x 11 121-point All-cross-type sensor. With an AF area that covers 75% vertically and 80% horizontally, subjects can be tracked across a wide range. All 121 points are cross-type focus points, making subject detection very accurate.

New AF algorithm

The new 121-point All-cross-type On-chip Phase Detection sensor and new TruePic VIII image processor significantly improve focus detection performance. The new moving subject tracking algorithm makes it possible to continue tracking various subject changes.
I welcome comments please.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).