View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2012

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,428 Times in 1,997 Posts
Splash Proof ... ?

My personal challenge today was to capture images of torrential Rain.
I don't mean floods and property damage that is the inevitable aftermath of extreme events,
but the beauty to be found in its detail. Water, wind and fire are essential to existence - they can be our servants or our masters.

After two months of unrelenting heat a deep low pressure trough is now moving slowly across Australia.

During the past 72 hours Northeastern Victoria has had 500mm of rain and we are under a major flood alert.

As I write, 100mm will fall tonight and Wangaratta streets will be awash by morning.

Undaunted at the prospect of getting thoroughly drenched, I headed for the deluge with the E-3 + 50-200mm and the E-PL3 + 12-60mm.

At the Showgrounds fans were queuing for a match between two Melbourne football teams, Essendon and StKilda.
Without a brolly, the cameras and I got very wet yet we continued to function seemlessly together, nonetheless!

Not being a footy fan myself I just watched the crowd in wonder as it queued up at the ticket box.
What invisible force compels them to stand in the rain for hours watching prime young men injure themselves and each other?

Well, by this time the gear and I had had enough so we headed home to watch the mud bath on the sporting news
only to learn that due to flooding the Essendon team (ironically known as "the Bombers") was unable to land at Wangaratta airport,
so the match was cancelled and deemed a draw. I towelled off the cameras and poured myself a stiff double scotch to round out the day!

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Last edited by pandora; 3rd March 2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: To rewrite the gibberish text composed last night at 2:00AM! :)
The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
catkins (3rd March 2012)