View Single Post
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 567 Times in 256 Posts
Re: How to snap a Mongoose at night without a flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Hi Phil. I have found that video is good for low lighting photography. But there has to be some light of course for focus etc. My other suggestion is to use a Trail camera. They put out an infra-red or UV (I think) light to light up the scene. They can work in still photo mode and /or video. They work well for my hedgehog stuff. Alas I only have video of him so cannot show you a piccie. Downside is that the photos and black and white, unless there is reasonable light around....
Hi Mark, thanks for the advice. I had not thought about using a video. I have a Sony Video which has a night shot facility where everything comes out in black n white because of the IR. I was hoping to use an Olympus brand, but what I have is fairly limited. I am flying to the UK in 2 weeks time for 3 - 4 months and could look out for a trail camera, is there one you can suggest? We have not seen any dangerous snakes up at the house for several months and I think its because the Mongooses are eating them or scaring the snakes away. You have lived in Africa and your insights are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (21st June 2019)