View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts
Re: Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I tend to agree about darks. Your image if pretty much noise free as far as I can tell from what you have posted.

Flats, however, do make a big difference if you have any dust bunnies on your lens or filters if you use them, or to remove any vignetting that you can get on large targets. If this is a large crop I guess that solves that potential problem as well.
Chers Dave. I tried the flats calibration files and found them limiting. First I found dust bunnies can move when I change the battery and you need flats exactly as your camera and lens are orientated. I clean the lens and exercise the sensor cleaning before starting and keep lens separation from the body to a min. I can remove vignetting easily in Startools. This is a crop and representative of the full image. I think that the calibration files are best for CCD astro sensors and there they work. For DSLR CMOS sensors there is less benefit. Darks can help CMOS when the exposure is long. By keeping the exposure short I get more frames and therefore less noise when stacked.
Full image on Astrobin.
https://www.astrobin.com/403480/?nc=user

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (1st May 2019), wornish (1st May 2019)