View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2018
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 11,998
Thanks: 2,361
Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,420 Posts
Likes: 6,150
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts
Re: Editing Challenge No. 3

Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I did find this tutorial which helped a bit.
Excellent tutorial, thanks Dave.

Originally Posted by wornish View Post
... I used lots of layers and made lots of mistakes on the way.
Same here

Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I selected the windows and copied to a new layer. I increased the contrast a lot and then inverted the image. This created black frames and lighter glass. If light is coming from the room then the frames would appear dark when seen from the outside.
It was the inversion that I couldn't get right; hence my use of cloning in the stonework. Was it just a matter of using the inversion filter?

Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Then it was down to using a soft brush tool to paint in the areas with various shades of yellow multiple layers each with slightly less opacity as you go to the edges. I Remerged the windows with the original and adjusted the mask to get a good join. Hope this makes sense. I enjoy doing post processing but I am not artistic enough to match the experts.
With nothing to guide me I just started by selecting the windows (by masking) and then increasing the brightness. Adding a yellow solid colour layer at 50% opacity above it helped a bit. Then I switched the merge (blend) mode for the colour layer from normal (overlay) to screen. I don't know what this does (I'm still learning as well) but it gave it a much more translucent effect that I was happy with when I pushed the opacity back up nearer 100%.

For the outside of the windows to get the light spill effect on the stonework I used a radial gradient mask for each window, i.e. a graduated effect, starting from the centre of the window and moving to approximately the same distance outside the window. I then touched it up by flattening the sides with a 10% brush to the mask reduce the effects and form more of a rectangle than a circle. I then used the mask with a brightness/contrast layer to increase the brightness. For the four big windows I copied each mask and used it with a Hue/Saturation layer adjusting the yellows by +50%. For the 2 round windows above these I had the yellow set at +80% but set the opacity to 62% to get a deeper yellow but tone down the intensity from such a big increase. Finally there was a bit of Hue/Saturation and Brighness/Contrast on the main picture to suit taste.

From an original by Tim, inspiration by Dave, and lots of hard work by me! (This one not entered into the challenge).
Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3rd February 2018)