View Single Post
Old 25th February 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: DxO Optics Pro 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Stimulated by this thread to look at the trial version in a bit more detail, I too am impressed by the results 'straight out of the box'. I set the output file format to DNG and am puzzled by the file sizes. The input ORFs are in the range 9.5-12 MB, the output DNGs 35-50MB. DNGs produced by LR2 seem almost rthe same size as the original RAW files. Can anyone explain?
David
Sorry, it's another one of those " if all else fails read the manual " situations but there are 62 pages. No I haven't read it all but your question got me intrigued.
Page 51 sect 5.4 says;
" The DNG generated by DxO is a 16-bit linear DNG format. This format is only available for original images in RAW format. No quality option is offered. Linear DNG means that the three color channels have been interpolated and therefore that the file "weighs" three times more than the original RAW file. Interpolation was necessary to perform a number of optical corrections. This format offers the same level of colour and exposure control as with a RAW file generated by the camera."
Guess this means you'll only use DNG if you realy, realy want to store an image for future re-processing.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.