View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,495 Posts
Liked 4,390 Times in 1,983 Posts
Highway to the Sea

The drive eastwards from the snowfields along the Snowy Mountains Highway to the coast requires
a cautious descent down Brown Mountain, a 10km black ribbon of torturous S-bends where a 60km per hour
speed limit applies in both directions. Traversing the B72 by night conjures images from Disney's, Fantasia, Night on Bald Mountain.
The Snowy Mountains Highway arrives at the coast at the historically significant town of Bega, famous for its brand of gourmet cheeses.
Seventeen kilometres further south lies the small seaside resort of Tathra and its magnificent 3km long surf beach where I camped overnight.

FROM A CLIFF TOP CAR PARK A PATHWAY LEADS DOWN TO THE BEACH

The sea god was watching me taking photos on his domain and sent a surge of surf racing up the sand that drowned my shoes and socks ankle deep!

The historic Tathra wharf, backlit by the morning sun was a 'must get' photo.

Upon a rumour that one person seen walking with a group of three on the rocks was missing, the Surf Rescue team
had been called into action. It was my luck to have been on the beach at sunrise when the inflatables were launched.

The operation continued all morning and well ito the day

Rumours spread fast, "a shark had been sighted, close inshore" and it was soon on the news.

More and more boats began patrolling the sea between Bega and Tathra but to no avail

Adding to the tension the Westpac Rescue helicopter joined in
the search until it was later revealed that the whole thing was a hoax
Story: https://www.edenmagnet.com.au/story/...wimmer-a-hoax/

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (19th August 2019), Greytop (22nd August 2019), Keith-369 (19th August 2019), MJ224 (20th August 2019), Phill D (19th August 2019), wornish (19th August 2019)