View Single Post
Old 18th February 2018

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: Lens Corrections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks for your help. LR Ďappearsí to add corrections as it says so, but without seeing unaltered RAWs I cant say what and by how much. CAís donít seem to be corrected though as you can manually select to remove CA which does remove some fringing. Whether the Olympus file removes some and then LR removes more I donít know
You cannot ever view a raw file (raw not RAW files as wraw is not an acronym, it literally means the raw data from the sensor) or apply any type of correction to it, it has to be "developed" or decoded into a form such as JPEG which can be displayed first.

Software such as Lightroon, Olympus Viewer 3, Capture One Pro or DxO apply lens corrections (and other corrections) at a late stage of the conversion process. Like Otto I use Dxo and that has the ability to show before and after correction images either by switching between before and after views or by displaying both side by side. As Otto says the default corrections applied (which also includes things like lens softness) are the result of considerable testing of sample camera/lens combinations but you can also manually adjust these further if you wish. I'm not sure how comprehensive the corrections applied by default in Lightroom are but I believe you can also import lens profiles from third parties or devise your own.

On the other hand if the camera is set to record JPEG only, the camera firmware will, I believe automatically apply lens correction data to the JPEG's it produces. As a matter of interest Olympus Viewer 3 is effectively the same as the camera firmware processor and you can make your own changes to it as well.

Hope this helps.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (18th February 2018), Johnheatingman (18th February 2018)