View Single Post
Old 16th March 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Forum Sill Plagued With Gateway Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
To be honest the forum is becoming so sterile lately that I am rapidly losing interest. I enjoy a good, honest debate and was a keen member of the debating society at school. There was a time when robust debate was allowed here; encouraged even, but of late threads have been closed mid-debate which creates something of an awkward silence.

If members are to be asked to support the forum it is only reasonable that they are allowed to enjoy it and not be overly censored.

Just my humble opinion.

(See how long this thread lasts.)
Nigel - I always appreciate your contributions since they are thoughtful and well presented. I've found myself modifying my view on more than one occasion as a result of a post from you. However, what I will say is that ever since the Brexit thread, the tone of discussions here is too often turning nasty and personal. It's a real pity since we used to collectively be (a) more focused on photography, and (b) much more considerate and polite to each other!

In the wake of this it's certainly true that there has been more intervention from the mods of late; but I can't think of any occasion where anyone's views have been censored (in the sense of their opinions being removed or suppressed). Some may have been censured for things said, but I think in the main when that's happened it's been proportionate and handled delicately. We have all been guilty I'm sure of writing things in haste and pressing the submit button without the necessary thought, so I'm not trying to be preachy here - just trying to highlight a trend as I see it.

Does this make the forum sterile? I personally don't think so. There's no reason why we can't discuss things without getting personal or aggressive.

I also think, especially in light of the Brexit thread, that a "no politics" policy should be introduced. It's completely reasonable of course to have places to discuss politics, but I think that a photo forum is not the place for that since it colours members' views of each other and leads to division and hardened positions that then spill over into the photography topics.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (17th March 2019), MJ224 (17th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (16th March 2019), peak4 (16th March 2019), Phill D (17th March 2019), RobEW (18th March 2019), Zuiko (17th March 2019)