View Single Post
Old 5th October 2018

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Re: "OLYMPUS Investor Day 2018" (2018/9/5)

When I bought the Em-1 new in 2013, the marketing pointed towards 'rivalling DSLRs', but its clear that there is no point Olympus trying to compete in the image quality arms war currently raging. I too hope that Olympus will continue to improve DR and iso performance in the next cameras, and also refocus on what the system does better than any other: Small, light, well-built, ergonomic, feature packed, priced competitively in relation to FF and DSLR cameras, and that the lens design philosophy moves in this direction too. Ive been hoping for a couple of light, small fixed telephotos such as a 100mm f2.8 (spiritual successor to the wonderful OM 100mm f2.8), in the Premium (rather than pro) range, priced inbeween the kit lenses and the Pro range. Im afraid I dont understand the reasoning behind the new PL 10-15 f1.7; too big, too heavy, too expensive, and it doesn't replace 5 primes, because who regularly carries all 5 around, or even owns all five? I recently bought a new OM10 11 from SRS for 234. Crazy price for a fabulous, fun little camera. The combination with the PL 15mm f1.7 is my favourite over more expensive options on an Em5ii. This is the spirit of M43 for me, and why I wont be lured into FF any time soon.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
chris (5th October 2018), MJ224 (6th October 2018), Ross the fiddler (5th October 2018)