View Single Post
Old 20th February 2018

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts
Re: What's wrong with these pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The only way HC-B would crop was taking a pair of scissors diagonally across the negative. In other words he believed cropping should be done with the feet.
Photographers of yore were a pretty prescriptive bunch. I do not know if H C-B was describing his methodology or giving an instruction, either way why would any photographer want to work according to someone else’s rigid rules? Most of us have neither the time nor talent to achieve the high standards of H C-B so inevitably do not get composition right the first time.

I find myself cropping more than previously, mainly to get my chosen subject more prominent in the frame. Taking a lot of street portraits, I often crop to a square format and recently find that cropping to a 5:4 ratio gives a somewhat more dynamic image than 4:3.

In his wonderful book, ‘Pictures on a Page’, former Sunday Times editor, Harold Evans demonstrates how cropping can radically alter the message and meaning of a photograph. Evans and Cartier-Bresson have diametrically opposing views on cropping it’s up to us as individuals to filter the messages and decide what is best for our photographic practice and preference.

David
snaarman (20th February 2018)