View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 vs Olympus 17mm f1.8

I've both lenses and started out with the Panny 20mm on the front of my EM1 thinking it would be a great standard walk around lens.

I got some cracking shots with it but boy did I find it frustrating at times. If you're trying to capture the moment the slow focus hunt can be incredibly frustrating - I missed a few shots, particularly with kids, because of the slow focus. Mine also had a noticeable habit of selecting an autofocus point anywhere but where I wanted it to be. After a year I gave up and bought the 17mm Oly F1.8. No regrets.

The 17mm is well made, has a gorgeous field of view (personal preference) and feels right on the front of the EM1. It's autofocus is lightening quick, accurate and I rarely miss an in the moment shot. I would agree with others - I don't think it is as sharp or contrasty as the panny lens wide open and even when stopped down, although sharp it has a softer rendering that has grown on me.

In conclusion I wouldn't part with my 17mm and the 20mm is relegated to occasional use on my back up GF3.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (19th May 2017)