View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: Olympus presence at Focus on Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
That's OK if you like the Pen bodies, I don't. I bought an E30 because that was the size body my lenses (14-54 Mk1, 70-300 & 50) felt most balanced on. Prior to the E30 I had an E1. I tried a E620 (my dad and sister have them), but I thought that my lenses felt a bit unbalanced on it. I would hate to have to use them (especially with an additional converter so they work) on an EPL2 or similar.

As for hoping for a mirror-less camera, I'm sorry but I don't get that. That would be OK if Olympus continued to offer both types of camera product, but they not planning to. They want to give up on normal 4/3rds.

I see mirror-less camera's as a bit like digital audio files: somebody somewhere decided that digital downloads were the future, but they didn't seem to care that they sound worse than a CD played through a decent Hi-Fi. Digital files offer a convenience factor over CD's but that's it. When you consider that some people still prefer vinyl to CD's you then get an idea of just how un Hi-FI a MP3 file actually is. Similarly, FM radio sounds better than digital radio which is also compressed, but FM radio is being phased out.

Electronic viewfinder's seemly offer the functionality of optical viewfinders, but no one has yet produced one that is as good or better than an optical one. All they can say is that current electronic viewfinders are getting better: yet Olympus has already decided to phase out the optical one.

As for DSLR's becoming a niche product, that's OK there are plenty of successful niche products out there. Electric guitars sound better through value amps: transitor or digital amps offer the same or even more functionality but some people still buy analogue because it sounds better. Similarly I think there will always be people that will want an optical viewfinder.
Bear in mind that future mirrorless bodies might not neccesarily be the same shape and size as the current Pens. There is no reason why a "pro" body similar in form to an E-5 but mirrorless shouldn't be produced.

I agree that it's all very worrying and unsettling but there are firm reasons why the E-System suits me too well to even contemplate moving to an inferior system just for peace of mind. If the ride with Olympus is bumpy I can take it. Who knows what the future may hold? In 10 years I may be using a mirrorless pro spec E-x series camera or using an E-5 as it is today. In either case I'll be happy.

Ironically the only other brand camera I think I could get along with is the Pentax K5 but their market share raises doubts about long term viability and they don't seem to have a Plan B like Olympus do with mirrorless.

As for Olympus underestimating demand for the E-5 they've now had time to source another factory in China and the fact that they still haven't sorted it means the company's top brass deserve a thoroughly good kicking!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau