View Single Post
Old 25th May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,145 Times in 2,454 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts
Re: Bought a Brand new MK1 E-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post

If you take a photo with your 16mp oly at say 28mm..and then you take another from the same spot at 14mm the picure is twice as wide and twice as tall ...Your original picture view at 28mm now only occupies 1/4 of the frame or 4 MP ...square law .
This is only relevant if you crop the image taken with the 14mm lens to the same view of the 28mm and anyone who does that is clearly using the wrong lens in the first place!

I can't believe we are having the MP debate again, I stopped worrying when I found I could produce lovely sharp and detailed 16x12 prints from a 10mp E-3. 16mp seems a bit of a luxury to me and with 20mp sensors in the latest Olympus MFT cameras I really can't see there is an issue if the competition are offering slightly more pixels.

Of your 40,000 pictures, how many were taken with DSLRs of 16mp or less? Are you seriously saying that these are now no good?

Let's get things in perspective, this thread was started by an enthusiast who has found a bit of a bargain in an older model which is nevertheless brand new. I've had the same model, purchased second hand, for several years. Like many photographers on this forum we are on a budget but although we don't have the latest and greatest gear we still enjoy using what we've got. Do you really think we are impressed when you tell us how great you and your cameras are?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (25th May 2017)