View Single Post
Old 30th June 2019

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I think it is.
Taken late this evening. I haven't checked all my other shots but it seems to acquire and hold focus better than before in C-AF mode. I think this is possibly the best Barn Owl shot I have achieved so far, so I am happy.

Ron
Cracking shot, Ron.

May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?

I had an hour shooting dragonflies amid water and reeds, and overhead buzzards on Friday, and I formed the impression that initial acquisition of focus and holding of focus was a notch better against clear sky (all points CAF, 15fps, -2). Bursts of images gave a high proportion in focus.

However, following the insects flying in front of reeds wasn't any different, although initial acquisition was maybe quicker (9 point, other settings unchanged). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the latter test with lock at zero or even +1, which might have been better.

Trouble is, this sort of test is highly variable and subjective, influenced by all sorts of one-off variables and settings (and by hope!). Over time we will build up more of an accurate idea, but of course our individual skills improve naturally over time as well.

I am going back to the buzzard/dragonfly site next week, so I shall try to continue the test.

BTW Paul (Walti) would you be free any days next week and interested to join me? The pools are near Barton.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (30th June 2019), pault (30th June 2019)