View Single Post
Old 6th May 2017

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I think we've got it now that you're not impressed with the MF clutch on the 17mm f1.8! In a sense I agree with you - I think it's a pretty lame feature, but since I rarely use MF it's not something that bothers me. You'll find the same problem exists on pretty much all the mirrorless cameras using their native lenses. It's just how it is. The systems are designed for AF.

If MF that stops at infinity + mirrorless is really how you want to operate I think your best bet is to use a proper mechanically linked MF lens together with a Sony A7. The Sony A7 series offer excellent focus peaking and together with a huge selection of 35mm legacy lenses (the Olympus OM lenses included) and native MF lenses like the Zeiss Loxia you'll get the experience you're seeking. I don't think that drive-by-wire MF trickery is going to deliver what you're looking for.

Well, either that or a Leica rangefinder?
I'm making much more of a fuss than the problem warrants. It's just that it took me a bit by surprise when I put the lens on. I have the 12-100 and the clutch works great on that. I just thought and wanted the 17mm to work in the same way.
I did look at the A7 but came across this really interesting article which drives home the pointlessness of full frame mirrorless cameras and it made a lot of sense to me so I went for the micro 4/3:
https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/son...fatal-mistake/

Like I said in a previous post, I have a full frame DSLR (D700) along with ALL the lenses (I've been shooting for nearly 50 years) along with a Leica rangefinder (film), Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya etc etc all of which I still use. I have been using a fuji x100t as a keep in the pocket camera.
I'm going on my honeymoon to Indonesia in a couple of months so I wanted to take something more versatile than the x100t but my new wife would not appreciate me lugging around my usual bag of bodies and lenses so opted for the OMD-1 MK2 with the 12-100. Before it arrived I kept my expectations of the system realistic as it's an MFT system with a lens with such a broad focal range but took it to Madrid last week a couple of days after I got the camera and I have to say I'm really blown away by the results. Not just the image quality but the usability of the camera as well. The MF assists are fantastic and histogram design is great (so much better than the fuji). I decided when I returned I will be using the OMD much more than I thought hence buying as walk around lens and using it in place of the x100t. Despite my moaning I love the camera and I'm waiting for the 20mm 1.7 to arrive to replace the 17mm which I sent back (20mm will suit me much more then 17mm).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talkingdrum For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (6th May 2017), Phill D (6th May 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (6th May 2017), Phill D (6th May 2017)