View Single Post
Old 31st October 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Another GAS attack

Well, I've had a few days to play with the E-M5ii and it's interesting...

1) It's a very nice camera. The shutter sound is lovely and it overall has a very nice feel to it. Unlike the original E-M5, there's just enough of a kink in the front panel to mean that I'm happy to hold it without the need for the add-on HLD grip. This keeps it very small and light. Buttons etc over the original E-M5 are massively improved. Long exposure noise is MUCH better than on the E-M1.

2) The jury is still out for me on the flippy-screen. It's great for portrait orientation shots low down, but I hate the way it sticks out and flaps around for landscape orientation shooting. I find it clumsy, potentially fragile and of course very indiscreet for street shooting. I'm going to stick with it, but I really, really, really wish that Oly could have developed something like the mechanism on the Fuji XT2.

3) The Hi-Res mode is somewhat of a disappointment for me, although it's definitely got benefits. On the disappointment front, I'm finding that there isn't a huge increase in resolution per se. Maybe I'm not using the right lenses, but I'm finding that Hi-Res shots viewed at 100% are a) a bit soft; and b) not actually giving that much more extra detail. The softness can be fixed by a handful of sharpening in LR, but that doesn't add more detail of course. OTOH... noise in Hi-Res shots is much, much better (esp when downsized). I find I can push shadows and exposure enormously before noise gets out of hand and for landscape shooting that is a big, big win.

So, I'm not sure where I'll go when the E-M1ii is out. I'll probably sit out the initial reviews and then decide. The improved AF, frame rate etc holds no interest for me. Its larger size and flippy screen I see as a negative. So, unless it delivers on noise or DR, I don't see it'll offer much over the E-M5ii.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (2nd November 2016), Crazy Dave (31st October 2016), drmarkf (31st October 2016), IainMacD (1st November 2016), OM USer (1st November 2016), Ross the fiddler (31st October 2016), skids (1st November 2016)