Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Olympus Capture looks excellent (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34665)

brian1208 17th September 2014 05:27 AM

Olympus Capture looks excellent

I found this which would suggest that Olympus Capture may be what a lot of us have been waiting for a long time.

Two key things for me are that the shoot can be controlled from both the camera and the laptop and it has integration with Lightroom

The implementation of the laptop control looks spot on too, can't wait to get it up and running for my next studio shoot (and to get working on some remote birding in the garden)

http://app.olympus-imaging.com/olymp...ex.php?lang=en

martyjward 17th September 2014 06:25 AM

Re: Olympus Capture looks excellent

Must say the level of PC control looks fantastic for E-M1.

No list of compatible cameras - I know the (my) E-620 used to able to live shoot via studio (I think it was) wonder if they have made it backwards compatible.

Ross the fiddler 17th September 2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyjward (Post 310949)
Must say the level of PC control looks fantastic for E-M1.

No list of compatible cameras - I know the (my) E-620 used to able to live shoot via studio (I think it was) wonder if they have made it backwards compatible.

Quote:

This software is compatible with Olympus cameras equipped with the tethering function.

E-M1 F/W version 2.0 is supported. (As of September 2014)
I wonder if they will make a long cable & solid mount for the camera connection as it will put a dangerous strain on the connection of the camera if the cable isn't supported. I suppose a long USB extension cable would give the length & a base plate with a Velcro strap to secure the cable could work.

brian1208 17th September 2014 07:47 AM

I used a 15ft USB cable with my canon systems to connect with the laptop when shooting tethered and plan to do the same with the EM-1

I never experienced any difficulties before (but I guess there is always a first time ;) )

Working off the tripod is no problem but when working the studio with a trailing cord to the laptop I guess there is always the risk that one day I may tread on the cable and strain the camera USB port?

bpb 17th September 2014 07:55 AM

I wonder how much it will cost. :confused:

Ross the fiddler 17th September 2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1208 (Post 310958)
I used a 15ft USB cable with my canon systems to connect with the laptop when shooting tethered and plan to do the same with the EM-1

I never experienced any difficulties before (but I guess there is always a first time ;) )

Working off the tripod is no problem but when working the studio with a trailing cord to the laptop I guess there is always the risk that one day I may tread on the cable and strain the camera USB port?

Thanks for that. The Olympus cable remote may actually come with a Velcro strap, but if not they are available at discount, hardware & electrical/electronic stores & would help save a damaged connector (I stuffed my E520 by fitting the remote plug the wrong way round in the dark) & it would be a good idea to keep one attached to the USB camera cable too (to wrap around the tripod leg).

brian1208 17th September 2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpb (Post 310960)
I wonder how much it will cost. :confused:

I'm assuming its a free download for EM-1 owners (Maybe I'm being nave but there is nothing to suggest otherwise in anything I have read so far)

martyjward 17th September 2014 07:59 AM

Shame they didn't think of using the built in wifi to talk to the PC eliminating the need for cables on the E-M1

bpb 17th September 2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1208 (Post 310962)
I'm assuming its a free download for EM-1 owners (Maybe I'm being nave but there is nothing to suggest otherwise in anything I have read so far)

I seem to remember that the Olympus Studio software I used with my E-620 was quite expensive.

Ross the fiddler 17th September 2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyjward (Post 310963)
Shame they didn't think of using the built in wifi to talk to the PC eliminating the need for cables on the E-M1

You can do that quite successfully for WiFi capable models with this program. http://www.digitalkamera.de/Fototipp...trol/9024.aspx

As discussed here. http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ad.php?t=13813

brian1208 17th September 2014 04:12 PM

Thought I had seen something about it being free

Quote:

Olympus Capture Studio Tethering Application will be available September 24, 2014 at 10:00pm ET at no cost
from the Olympus press release on DPR

bpb 17th September 2014 05:35 PM

That's great!

raichea 23rd September 2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1208 (Post 310958)
I used a 15ft USB cable

Brian, I'm planning to go down the extension cable route - do you know whether your extension cable is passive (ie just a bundle of wires) or a repeater (has some electronics to boost/retime the USB signals)? Both seem to be available.

The USB spec allows for cable lengths up to 5m, so passive should work if the cable is good quality. Having a repeater is attractive, but (I think) these are implemented using what is, in effect, a USB hub inside the cable end, so that can cause problems in some circumstances.

Thanks, Steve

brian1208 23rd September 2014 03:16 PM

Steve, its a passive cable and is one I have used variously for my canon system and as a long cable during the set-up for my remote printer. Worked without problem with each of those jobs so fingers crossed it will work with the EM-1 :)

raichea 23rd September 2014 03:53 PM

Thanks Brian. I'm also assuming it's an extender - ie has male and female USB A connectors so that you can plug your standard Oly cable into it and thus the computer. Is that right?