Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Standard zoom and mid range (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   HELP! EZ v ED lens (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7830)

Roy Clarke 8th January 2010 02:20 PM

EZ v ED lens

I have had a faulty 50 -200 EZ lens recently replaced by Olympus but it has been replaced by an ED lens.
The original lens was also a SWD but the replacement lens has no indication on it that it is SWD like my other SWD lens.

Questions:
What is the difference between an EZ lens and a ED lens?
Does the 50 - 200 SWD lens normally have the SWD logo on it?

Any input would be appreciated

The Saint 8th January 2010 03:05 PM

Re: EZ v ED lens

Roy

I may be wrong, but I believe all the 50-200 SWD lens has a blue ring around them close to the front element.

I also understand the lens hood on the 50-200 SWD is different to the non-SWD version.

Regards

Simon

Garrie 8th January 2010 03:28 PM

it sounds like the replacement lens is the older non swd type..

I don't own this lens but here is a pic of the newer swd 50 - 200 compared to the non swd 50 - 200.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/P4238954b.jpg

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Garrie

Ian 8th January 2010 03:43 PM

I've just taken this to provide a comparison between old and new:

http://e-group.uk.net/images/forum/zd50-200_oldnew.jpg

The new SWD model is on the left and the older version on the right.

There is a gold SDW emblem on the new lens.

Do you have a record of the serial number of your lens?

Ian

photo_owl 8th January 2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 62036)

The new SWD model is on the left and the older version on the right.

There is a gold SDW emblem on the new lens.

Do you have a record of the serial number of your lens?

Ian

that would be the SWD emblem I take it......*zzz

both are ED, in fact I suspect they both have the same glass elements, but if I had sent in an SWD I wouldn't be happy to get a non-SWD lens back!

Ian 8th January 2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 62038)
that would be the SWD emblem I take it......*zzz

both are ED, in fact I suspect they both have the same glass elements, but if I had sent in an SWD I wouldn't be happy to get a non-SWD lens back!

I believe some optical changes were made with the SWD version, probably to accommodate the SWD ring motor. Just looking at the two lenses side by side you can see the internal details are slightly different sizes.

Ian

DerekW 8th January 2010 05:14 PM

The use of the white text on the blue background showing the equivalent 35mm film focal length is rather tacky - it does not appear on lenses not supplied from the european Oly.

gno 8th January 2010 05:22 PM

Didn't Roy ask what the differences were between EZ and ED, aren't they both SWD anyway?

Further could someone tell me or point me in the right direction to what the EZ and ED acronyms stand for and what it all means I find it very confusing.

Regards

Gavin

Ian 8th January 2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gno (Post 62047)
Didn't Roy ask what the differences was between EZ and ED, aren't they both SWD anyway?

Further could someone tell me or point me in the right direction to whatthe EZ and ED acronyms stand for and what it all means I find it very confusing.

Regards

Gavin

I don't think 'EZ' exists - I've not heard of this before.

ED stands for Extra low Dispersion, which is a high quality optical glass that helps keep the light focused tightly, even at full aperture. The 14-54 does not use ED glass and although it's excellent when stopped down a few clicks, it is relatively soft at full aperture compared to the 12-60 ED.

Ian

Ian 8th January 2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 62046)
The use of the white text on the blue background showing the equivalent 35mm film focal length is rather tacky - it does not appear on lenses not supplied from the european Oly.

It's only a sticker and can be easily removed.

Ian

gno 8th January 2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 62052)
I don't think 'EZ' exists - I've not heard of this before.

ED stands for Extra low Dispersion, which is a high quality optical glass that helps keep the light focused tightly, even at full aperture. The 14-54 does not use ED glass and although it's excellent when stopped down a few clicks, it is relatively soft at full aperture compared to the 12-60 ED.

Ian

Thanks for the info on "ED" Ian.
Perhaps we need a sticky for acronyms and their meanings.
Does extra low dispersion glass generally give sharper images at the long end?
I'm still a bit confused about the two versions of the 50-200 mm lens do they both have the Supersonic Wave Drive or just the latest model?

Regards

Gavin

Ian 8th January 2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gno (Post 62092)
Thanks for the info on "ED" Ian.
Perhaps we need a sticky for acronyms and their meanings.
Does extra low dispersion glass generally give sharper images at the long end?
I'm still a bit confused about the two versions of the 50-200 mm lens do they both have the Supersonic Wave Drive or just the latest model?

Regards

Gavin

The Mark II 50-200 was introduced specifically to feature SWD. Along with the 12-60, it was one of the first SWD AF leness to be produced by Olympus, and was launched with the E-3 at the end of 2007.

Ian

Wreckdiver 8th January 2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gno (Post 62092)
Gavin

Only the new Mk. II 50-200mm lens has SWD.

Steve

Roy Clarke 8th January 2010 10:52 PM

Hi All
Thanks very much for the input, it is now very obvious from the posts that the lens I now have is a non SWD lens. Ian's picture has confirmed this.

The EZ issue looks like it could be a red herring, this information about the original lens came from a young lady at Olympus when I asked the question about the SWD lens, for which they did not have a answer.

The original (Faulty) lens was S/No 240019918
The replacement is S/No 060208998

I will have a word with Olympus on Monday!

Regards to all
Roy

gno 8th January 2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreckdiver (Post 62103)
Only the new Mk. II 50-200mm lens has SWD.

Steve

If that is the case then

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Clarke (Post 62025)
I have had a faulty 50 -200 EZ lens recently replaced by Olympus but it has been replaced by an ED lens.
The original lens was also a SWD but the replacement lens has no indication on it that it is SWD like my other SWD lens.

Surely Olympus would not replace a lens under warranty with an inferior model.

Regards

Gavin