Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is it only the British ? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50825)

wornish 19th June 2019 09:38 AM

Is it only the British ?
 
What we say and what we actually mean can be a challenge for others.


http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/2150/british.jpg

pdk42 19th June 2019 10:12 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
No, it's not only the British - the Japanese are worse. This is an amusing excerpt from the Nixon/Sato talks in 1969:

Quote:

As Prime Minister in 1969, Mr. Sato visited Washington to deflect American anger over a flood of textile imports from Japan, a hot trade issue at the time. The Japanese must exercise restraint in exports, President Richard M. Nixon insisted.

To which Mr. Sato replied as he looked ceilingward, ''Zensho shimasu.'' Literally, the phrase means, ''I will do my best,'' and that's how the interpreter translated it.

What it really means to most Japanese is, ''No way.''

Mr. Nixon thought that he had an agreement, however, and when Japan continued on its merry export way, he reportedly called Mr. Sato a liar.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/27/w...-speaking.html

Wally 19th June 2019 11:39 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 483340)
No, it's not only the British - the Japanese are worse. This is an amusing excerpt from the Nixon/Sato talks in 1969:
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/27/w...-speaking.html

*yes I suppose, one could say that Mr. Sato "Shih Tzu'd" Mr. Nixon from a high height. ;)

Naughty Nigel 19th June 2019 08:32 PM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Have you ever noticed that wives often say the exact opposite to what they really mean; just to test us or to give us enough rope...... *yes

That seems to be a world-wide phenomenon too. ;)

wornish 19th June 2019 09:16 PM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 483448)
Have you ever noticed that wives often say the exact opposite to what they really mean; just to test us or to give us enough rope...... *yes

That seems to be a world-wide phenomenon too. ;)

Please share some examples. *yes

blu-by-u 20th June 2019 01:47 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 483463)
Please share some examples. *yes

Wife: Do I look fat?

It don't matter how you answer, Your answer will have you killed:eek:

Zuiko 20th June 2019 09:19 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 483463)
Please share some examples. *yes

"It's fine if you want to watch the football, I'll just go to bed early."

At which point, if you have any sense, you'll reply, "Well, I don't suppose it will be a very exciting match with those two teams playing, why don't we give that romcom a try on the other channel?"

MJ224 20th June 2019 09:26 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
As a largish lady walked by, I was asked "Is my bottom that big...."

I replied "Look at those clouds, they are really pretty..."

:)

drmarkf 20th June 2019 10:21 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
The individual details might be different, but this is a universal human trait. It's very close to the one for devious organisations perverting impressive and sciency-sounding words.

There are some great weaselly-worded phrases to look out for - once spotted, I recommend you treat everything the organisation says as deceitful and utter rubbish:

"The Discovery Institute" (American fundamentalist group opposed to 'discovery' of anything by the scientific method, but instead tell you to believe what a lot of old, wealthy white men tell you about god)

"European Research Group" (Hates Europe; Doesn't do any research; A disparate collection of angry old men at each others throats)

"People's Democratic Republic" (The ordinary people get no say; No visible democracy; Same as the first word)

You get the idea.

Naughty Nigel 20th June 2019 10:29 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 483546)
The individual details might be different, but this is a universal human trait. It's very close to the one for devious organisations perverting impressive and sciency-sounding words.

There are some great weaselly-worded phrases to look out for - once spotted, I recommend you treat everything the organisation says as deceitful and utter rubbish:

"The Discovery Institute" (American fundamentalist group opposed to 'discovery' of anything by the scientific method, but instead tell you to believe what a lot of old, wealthy white men tell you about god)

Ahh; so a form of oxymoron then like 'American Intelligence'. *yes

Naughty Nigel 20th June 2019 10:34 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 483463)
Please share some examples. *yes

Well to quote a regular example: Wife says "I don't mind if you go for a drink after choir / go out taking photographs / go or do whatever" (delete as appropriate).

Then when I come home late and the atmosphere is a but chilly "well I didn't think you would actually go". :D

drmarkf 20th June 2019 10:49 AM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 483548)
Ahh; so a form of oxymoron then like 'American Intelligence'. *yes

You have it, sir!

Jim Ford 20th June 2019 03:31 PM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
"A woman's faults are many.
Men have only two.
Everything they say
and everything they do."

Jim

Naughty Nigel 20th June 2019 03:37 PM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 483603)
"A woman's faults are many.
Men have only two.
Everything they say
and everything they do."

Jim

You've missed one Jim.

Everything they think.....;)

Jim Ford 20th June 2019 03:39 PM

Re: Is it only the British ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 483604)
You've missed one Jim.

Everything they think.....;)

It doesn't scan!

Jim


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger