Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Ladies and Gents no more. Has the world gone completely mad? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42277)

Naughty Nigel 25th May 2016 07:37 PM

Ladies and Gents no more. Has the world gone completely mad?

So, Condor Ferries has been found guilty of discrimination because they used the words 'Ladies' and 'Gents' on the heads in their vessels. :confused:

BBC News Report

Whilst I sympathise with the small number of people who suffer with 'gender disorientation issues' I fail to see why using the words Ladies and Gents in time honoured fashion is discriminatory. :confused:

Surely, the whole purpose of putting signs on the head doors is to avoid any embarrassment caused by people any gender inadvertently walking through the wrong door?

I must declare on interest here, as for reasons that I cannot explain I find the symbols on some lavatory doors confusing; especially in motorway service stations for some reason.

At one time they were pink and blue, but that was probably discriminatory so they are now the same gender-neutral grey, green or yellow shades. The sign makers also seem to have gone to great efforts to make the male and female signs look alike; hence my confusion.

Anyhow, isn't is discriminatory to portray men wearing trousers and women wearing skirts or dresses? What about Scotsmen wearing kilts and women wearing trousers? Shouldn't they have a symbol of their own?

So should I now claim discrimination for the embarrassment I suffer when I open a door to find a room full of concerned looking women and a vase of flowers beside the wash basins; or should I campaign for flowers in the male facilities? :rolleyes:

Ricoh 25th May 2016 08:22 PM

Re: Ladies and Gents no more. Has the world gone completely mad?

It's all b%11%<$, isn't it! Men are men, women are women, let's celebrate the difference. I'm not sure I'm allowed, or whether it's safe to express an opinion on gender selection after birth, so I'll shut up. That's not to say I don't have an opinion.

Naughty Nigel 25th May 2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 386895)
It's all b%11%<$, isn't it! Men are men, women are women, let's celebrate the difference. I'm not sure I'm allowed, or whether it's safe to express an opinion on gender selection after birth, so I'll shut up. That's not to say I don't have an opinion.

I'm not sure this is even about gender selection any more. It seems to be more about using the most obscure terms to describe the obvious, and employing people to dream up new terms to replace names that we have used without difficulty for a century or more.

Ricoh 25th May 2016 09:32 PM

What about the debate regarding one's choice of 'bathroom' (eg if you've reassigned your gender by artificial means). I thought 'bathrooms' were places for a body wash, either in a bathtub or a shower. Think concepts have 'gotten' some American influence, sadly!

Jim Ford 25th May 2016 09:37 PM

In the large factory where I worked for 30+ years the toilets were designated thus:

The toilets in the middle of the machine shop bore notices: "Male" and "Female"
The toilets where technical and office staff worked were: "Men" and "Women".
The toilets in the management corridors were: "Gentlemen" and "Ladies".

This 'classist' designation remaned so until the factory closed in the early 90's.

Jim

angelpaaul 25th May 2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 386895)
It's all b%11%<$, isn't it!

I quite agree. I, too, have an opinion but I'd probably be banned from the forum for voicing it! The world, indeed, has gone mad.

pandora 25th May 2016 10:26 PM

To answer the question simply, yes it has.

Ross the fiddler 25th May 2016 10:30 PM

Yes, the world has gone mad!

peak4 25th May 2016 11:07 PM

I can still remember the toilets Bar 1 in the students union building when I first arrived in Sheffield in 1975.
Three doors in a row, Left hand Door "Gents", Right hand door "Ladies"
The middle door being labelled "Switch Room".
It always amused me, but I never did get a photo.

Back to the OP, this sort of thing really gets my goat, as in my opinion at least, it devalues the serious discrimination issues which really are important.
A bit like extreme PC behaviour detracts from, and turns folks against, the genuine issues.
I can remember when a friend of mine many years ago, a teacher, was banned by the local council education department from using the words "Blackboard" and "Whiteboard", to be replaced with "Chalkboard", and some other such nonsense for the other one.
That tale isn't an apocryphal tale either; even his students, (the majority were non white), all thought it was crackers as well.

IanB 26th May 2016 03:21 AM

I could post a couple of nature photos [trees] that could be used to explain it fully :eek:

what Ps me off it's such a small # of the public who could be "offended" by it. I guess we will have unisex dunnies now.

And I point the finger at the media. They will do anything for a story; the tiny minority know that so they work the system. The media seem to be always on the lookout for the "slip of tongue" about anything that no one is game to say anything about anything in case someone gets offended .

No signs needed really as the female dunny should always be on the right 'cause they seem to feel they are always right. *chr

timboo 26th May 2016 05:59 AM

i went into a restaurant and the toilets said the following on the toilet doors.

chicks
dicks

Personally I found it funny and refreshing, however someone out there would probably claim it to be offensive and that it caused them discomfort, loss of sleep, stress, anxiety, hair loss, trips to doctors, scared of going to a toilet again, whiplash, and upset. All in the the spirit of compensation.

:-)

Naughty Nigel 26th May 2016 08:41 AM

Three or four years ago we went to see Wicked at the Apollo whilst enjoying a weekend away in London.

I took advantage of the 'facilities' during the interval along with most of the audience it seemed. Anyhow, whilst washing my hands a very attractive Dutch girl exited one of the 'traps' and announced; "sorry guys, the queue for the ladies was just tooo long".

With that she calmly washed and dried her hands and disappeared back into the theatre.

I didn't notice any disapproving looks or comments at all; in fact, quite the contrary. :D

As Ricoh says, It's all b%11%<$, isn't it!

Wally 26th May 2016 08:54 AM

It's all a Government ploy... known as 'Job Creation'. With emphasis on creation. ;)

As an industry spin-off aircraft and other public transports will have to be bigger to make way for additional gender facilities.*yes

Otto 26th May 2016 08:58 AM

On holiday in the Western Isles a few years ago I came across some facilities where the door marked ladies was shorter and wider than that marked gents ... :)

martyjward 26th May 2016 09:03 AM

*sigh* (all I am going to say on the subject)