Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New Top Specification OMD coming? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24859)

Alpha1 27th December 2012 09:16 AM

New Top Specification OMD coming?

This looks promising! ;)

http://www.43rumors.com/more-info-ab...-it-is-an-omd/

I wonder when.....April do you think?

Phill D 27th December 2012 10:32 AM

Re: New Top Specification OMD coming?

Definitely promising yes all but the price :(

ayewing 27th December 2012 12:08 PM

Steve,
Maybe you need a full frame camera but the penalty is a bigger body and much bigger heavier lenses unless you take the Leica rangefinder route at great cost. Surely the sector of the market Olympus is aiming at is the smaller lighter but fully featured camera with matching high quality but compact lenses.

The recent advances in sensor technology have reduced the gap between FF and MFT. Of course the FF sensors are getting better too but the high end FF market aimed at professionals and advanced well heeled amateurs is pretty well served by Canon and Nikon. Olympus would struggle to compete whereas the success of the OM-D E-M5 shows that they can compete very effectively in the MFT market.

David M 27th December 2012 12:40 PM

Olympus will never make a 35mm frame sensor. If they still have the tooling to build OM lenses they could start making some of those in EOS mount so Canon users don't have to adapt them.

Ulfric M Douglas 27th December 2012 01:17 PM

I agree with this bit ;
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreckdiver (Post 205977)
I have given up with Olympus and all this will they, won't they? when? maybe next year. All this speculation ...

:( but NONE of the rest.

Chip size an issue? Not for me.
If I want full frame I'll simply buy a D600 & a lens, no drama to be had.
If I want Video I'll buy a used GH2. Solved.
Why should Olympus be expected to supply such thing?

crimbo 27th December 2012 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=Wreckdiver;205977.... If Olympus had developed the OM-D EM-5 for a full frame chip instead of persisting with the 4/3rds chip it would be wiping the floor with the Canikons right now.

A great shame because Olympus's lenses are world beating, shame the bodies can't match them.

Steve[/QUOTE]

but are the lenses not designed for 4/3?
Would those magnificent lenses work on a FF chip?
Wouldn't we need an adapter to allow the lenses to fit a larger mount?
Olympus made their bed and they will lie in it...hence the m4/3 rather than 4/3

DerekC 27th December 2012 02:39 PM

mFT & OM-D maybe fine cameras and no doubt there will be new bodies to follow the OM-D.
Please people remember how you came to be on this forum!
You got to this forum, through Olympus's promise of a completely new system designed for Digital "The Olympus E-System". Nothing carried over everything new. The E-1 was marketed as a professional camera, to be updated by E-3 & 5 although slowly.
The glass is brilliant but the bodies have now sadly been left behind by the competition.
I have read much about how good the OM-D is I handled one at Focus but not for me.
I have never used a mFT as most of my photography is motorsport and steam railways. mFT & OM-D don't work with my 90-250. I'm not well heeled as "ayewing" would have you believe. I have saved hard for my photography and Olympus still may abandon the format. Time will tell.

Olympus keep trying to reinvent the wheel and we get suckered in.

I do hope Olympus build a proper body which will work with 4/3 glass I don't care if it 4/3, Full Frame as long as it is up to date and in line with the specs from Canon and Nikon.

Alpha1 27th December 2012 04:25 PM

Well if all the speculation is eventually proved correct we can expect a significant improvement in the EVF viewfinder, which for me is already very good.

Maybe some of Sony's expertise in this area will be passed on to Olympus following their substantial investment in the company. I still use (rarely since I bought the OMD system!) a Sony A77 and a range of Sony G and Zeiss lenses.

I have sold my A900 full frame body since getting the OMD. So I write from experience as the A77's EVF is just phenomenal and the A99 is even better, I understand. So if the new Oly has something of this it will be terrific.....if it has a mixture of phase and contrast detect AF that will make it just perfect for me and my A77 plus lenses will also go to make room for it!

As for whether the OMD is "professional" or not......there are quite a few pro's using them!!:D

David Morison 27th December 2012 06:20 PM

I bought the E-M5 based on reviews and reports but really only for the sensor and it's high ISO performance. I must admit that, although it produces superb images, ergonomically and in the AF department it has been a big (small) disappointment. I am really hoping a new camera with that sensor becomes available and that it is of a decent size, which will be better balanced with the 4/3 and other lenses. I am not hoping for much in the CAF area and now I have the Canon 7D for this I suppose it doesn't mean so much to me, but a few more assignable buttons that are of a decent size would be useful.

However I definitely won't be pre-ordering one until I have time to try it and with the rumoured 7DII on the horizon I may not go for an Olympus at all! The only things that keep me with the E-M5 is the sensor and my beloved Leica 14-150mm.

David

Ulfric M Douglas 27th December 2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1 (Post 206010)
Well if all the speculation is eventually proved correct we can expect a significant improvement in the EVF viewfinder, which for me is already very good.

Maybe some of Sony's expertise in this area will be passed on to Olympus following their substantial investment in the company. I still use (rarely since I bought the OMD system!) a Sony A77 and a range of Sony G and Zeiss lenses.

I have sold my A900 full frame body since getting the OMD. So I write from experience as the A77's EVF is just phenomenal and the A99 is even better, I understand. So if the new Oly has something of this it will be terrific....

I hope not.
Sure, different folk have different eyes but I know I'm not alone in greatly preferring the EVFs in Olympus & Panasonics to the EVFs in current Sonys.
I've tried NEX7, A57, & A77 & found them too contrasty, too vivid and too glary in the colours. Give me even the old G1 EVF in preference.
Also : Sony EVF didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

andym 27th December 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas (Post 206033)
didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

And there's me thinking I was the only one who'd noticed this.Works a treat,just like the microprism focus on my OM-1n.:eek::eek:

Nick Temple-Fry 27th December 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas (Post 206033)
Also : Sony EVF didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

I suspect it is a diffraction pattern effect, caused by the increase in detail as you truly get into focus. Detail is greater than the viewfinder display can render - hence approximation and shimmer.

Though I agree with Andym that it's jolly useful. Lets hope that an evf with higher resolution doesn't lose this.

Nick

Rens 27th December 2012 11:22 PM

If it's bigger than the E-M5 I'm not interested.

Rens

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1 (Post 205975)
This looks promising! ;)

http://www.43rumors.com/more-info-ab...-it-is-an-omd/

I wonder when.....April do you think?

Ross the fiddler 28th December 2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rens (Post 206063)
If it's bigger than the E-M5 I'm not interested.

Rens

Since the E-M5 is actually quite small but larger with the grip, if it is to be able to take the larger 4/3's lenses & be a 'Professional' model, then it needs to be bigger to accomodate the professionally sized buttons & controls & not be fiddly in getting to each of the buttons. Small is great for convenience & weight but some would want it a little bigger for that 'professional' use & it needs to be suitably large & robust enough to stand up to the full rigours of 'professional' use (but not as big as the E5) with such things as double memory cards etc. & larger battery for longer shooting times. The E-M5 is a little fragile in its design & is not meant to be at 'professional' level of robustness but great for those that want small (enough) & great features (including its retro styling) & output. Some may poo poo the GH3, but at least it is now more of a 'professional' model & rugged & usefull enough with all its offerings, but not for me, because I prefer Olympus's jpeg output & most of all, the 5 axis stabilisation.

Well, that's my opinion anyhow. ;)

StephenL 28th December 2012 07:41 AM

As a lover of the E-M5, size and all, I still agree that any model designed to work with regular 4/3 lenses, especially the larger ones, does need to be of a size to balance them. Horses for courses, and all that!