Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spring meeting in Newcastle upon Tyne? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11354)

Radar 12th October 2010 08:18 PM

Spring meeting in Newcastle upon Tyne?

Have been thinking about arranging an Olympus Event/gathering in Newcastle when the weather gets warmer (Yes! I know it's a loooong time until that happens). but before I think more about it and start looking at available weekends; anyone interrested in this? what's on the agenda?

- I have been in contact with Olympus with the possibility to borrow 1-2 E-5's for hands-on testing and the option of borrowing a few HG/SHG lenses so it's possible to try (not trying to put Ian out of business and strongly recommend people to still rent lenses as it's a brilliant possibility to test lenses)

- An informal competition with prices sponsored by Olympus, and no! It's not an E-5 :-)

Anyone interrested?

wanderer 13th October 2010 08:54 AM

Re: Spring meeting in Newcastle upon Tyne?

Yes I would be interested.
My passport is still in order.
And who knows some of the Deep Southers or the Welsh Mafia may come along too.:)
Now is about the time to think about it. Good idea.

Duncan

jdal 13th October 2010 05:49 PM

Count me in, it's only a bus pass away for me.:)

catkins 13th October 2010 06:02 PM

Sounds good to another northern Oly fan!
Great idea and not before time - contact me if you need any informal 'help' or ideas for locations.

Regards
Chris

Radar 13th October 2010 07:12 PM

Thanks for the offer. Got some ideas what to do but appreciate getting help arranging and coming up with ideas. Thinking about getting in touch with one of the Getty photographers living in Newcastle and ask for a "masterclass" with him.

Ulfric M Douglas 13th October 2010 07:27 PM

I'm interested.
I can give lifts to anyone along the A69 too.

Rod Souter 13th October 2010 07:30 PM

I'm interested.

Rod

bazza2764 13th October 2010 07:34 PM

aye would be canny like, see how works going but it would be good

Wally 13th October 2010 08:03 PM

Howay the lads... *chr sound like a plan, count me in.

Ken Lister 19th October 2010 08:14 PM

I'm in as well.

Ken

gregles 19th October 2010 09:07 PM

I am another sweaty sock who would be very interested:)

Ken Lister 21st October 2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 87633)
Have been thinking about arranging an Olympus Event/gathering in Newcastle when the weather gets warmer (Yes! I know it's a loooong time until that happens). but before I think more about it and start looking at available weekends; anyone interrested in this? what's on the agenda?
Anyone interrested?

As for available weekends, as much advance warning as possible of date would really be appreciated. I provide short break care (weekends mainly) for special needs children and my schedule gets full rather quickly. With a date, I can fit my schedule around it. The only weekend I can't do so far is April 2nd-3rd.

Regards

Ken

Radar 21st October 2010 10:04 AM

Posted this early to check the interrest in this and as it seemes to be I will get the date(s) set no later than early january.

Wally 21st October 2010 11:36 AM

I'm away for most of January. Sloping off to Norway for two weeks which can't be changed. February onwards should be OK.

Radar 21st October 2010 01:18 PM

Norway? If your're in North East England can you buy me some things? ;) Miss the coffe from home :rolleyes:

abacus180 28th October 2010 06:10 PM

I'd be interested to come along and learn from you guys.

Stephen_M 29th October 2010 11:38 AM

If I'm free, I'm there.

Garrie 1st November 2010 10:46 PM

I'm normally back down to Newcastle every month or so.

If its okay i'd like to tag along if I'm free?

Radar 1st November 2010 11:16 PM

The more the merrier

Radar 14th December 2010 11:03 AM

I've found 2 dates that might be suitable. Please give feedback if any of these will be OK. May 7th or May 14th? March and April is quite busy in my schedule so I can't do it before this. Anyone?

jdal 14th December 2010 11:30 AM

May 14th is OK for me.

wanderer 14th December 2010 01:10 PM

14th sounds good to me.

Duncan

Kiwi Paul 14th December 2010 04:32 PM

I'm keen too, I can give a lift to anyone South of Aberdeen (who is on route more or less).

I'll stay over at least one night so if anyone else is thinking of staying over too we should maybe book the same accom or at least close by so we can have a few Newcastle Browns to wind down :-)

Paul

catkins 14th December 2010 04:38 PM

Either date fine with me and PM if you need any help / ideas etc.
I'm sure that there's plenty of good ideas and opportunities being thought about and let's hope that the snow has gone by then to make travel easy :rolleyes:

Regards

Ken Lister 14th December 2010 08:25 PM

May 14th is good for me too.

Ken

Radar 16th December 2010 07:34 PM

So May 14th looks like a good weekend? Suits me fine as Diamond League is in Shanghai (Waaaaaay to far to travel for me) and all other gymnastics and athletics events are far away from the North East.

Ulfric M Douglas 16th December 2010 08:15 PM

I'll put May 14th into my diary ... although the 7th is also fine by me.
I hope the weather's nice.

gregles 16th December 2010 09:44 PM

14th should be ok for me too:)

Greg

meach 16th December 2010 10:21 PM

Although I live in Liverpool now, I'm originally from the north-east so would quite like to join you all if that's ok?

Radar 17th December 2010 09:38 AM

Open for anyone with an Olympus camera or wants to purchase an Olympus camera *yes

maccabeej 18th December 2010 10:35 AM

I would like to come along but not sure if I can make it yet. A May day in the "lazy wind" - looking forward to it already.:D
Jim

Chemop 21st December 2010 09:50 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to this group, live near Newcastle and am into Oly DSLRs. Thought I was a lone wolf up here. Oly users seem to be thin on the ground hereabouts. I'd be keen to join a Newcastle meet and May 14 2011 is free at present. Kind regards Chemop

Radar 22nd December 2010 08:26 AM

You're more than welcome. You're just "a stone throwing distance" away from me. Glad to see Olympus users around in North East.

Stephen_M 22nd December 2010 12:52 PM

I 'm working both dates. :(
But I will be there in spirit.

Ken Lister 22nd December 2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemop (Post 95838)
Hello everyone. I'm new to this group, live near Newcastle and am into Oly DSLRs. Thought I was a lone wolf up here. Oly users seem to be thin on the ground hereabouts. I'd be keen to join a Newcastle meet and May 14 2011 is free at present. Kind regards Chemop

Some users are closer than you think - I'm only eight miles away.

Ken

Wally 24th December 2010 01:23 PM

*yes May 14th is looking good atm but will have to confirm nearer the date.

Radar 14th January 2011 08:33 PM

Just as a heads up: I might not be arranging this as I'm seriously considering jumping the ship to "the dark side". I've been testing the Nikon D7000, D300s and D700 and for my use it seemes to be the way to go. It all comes down to if the E-5 can impress me in the end of this month in Glasgow.

catkins 14th January 2011 08:55 PM

I can guess that this has taken a lot of thought and consideration, even if only to announce that you 'might' be going over to Nikon. So let's hope that the E-5 answers a few of the concerns that you presumably have about Olys as a future path.

As a Canon EOS user previously, I still keep an eye on other makes - Nikon at one stage came close to tempting me, but Canon would always probably also have some allure.
I feel it a shame that Olympus hasn't kept to a clear enthusiast/semi-pro/pro routeplan for the longer term, as a lot of these types of users will want to ensure that their camera choice will provide continuity of support and progress well into the future. The provision of seemingly just one camera (the E-5) in this type of routeplan makes it difficult to see how Olympus can continue to provide the attraction that it has had until recently. The micro four thirds range I feel is a distraction and not the full answer for the semi pro/pro, which is a shame as those that tend to support Olympus probably would continue to it if there was clarity to this routeplan.
So I hope it all goes well for you whatever the choice - and remember, if the darkside is reached you could always hold a yardsale on a certain day in May!! I'll put a bid in for the 50-200mm!

Regards
Chris

abacus180 15th January 2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Lister (Post 95922)
Some users are closer than you think - I'm only eight miles away.

Ken

And I live in Whickham

Graham

maccabeej 24th January 2011 12:46 PM

Hi
Is this going ahead? I am planning to come up for the following week, but to get there for meet up on the Saturday I would have to drive up on Friday. SWMBO is getting antsy about booking accomodation so any indication would save me hours of grief.:(
Jim