Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-420 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   slow shutter (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17128)

jongonfishin 1st October 2011 04:09 PM

slow shutter

Hi, Can anyone advise on the following problem? please. I have recently started on a couple of photographic courses at a local college and on an outdoor shoot the other day in bright sunlight I noticed that when I changed into manual mode from presets the shutter action slowed right down, more like being in "B". As the tutor likes us to use aperture or shutter priorities I was in a bit of a pickle not having fully read the book and the tutor(bless her) had not a clue either not having any experience on Olympus cameras.
Anyway today I got out the old tripod and carried out some tests: with ISO set at 800 high limit I first took shots using 14-42mm lens in Auto, P and the presets
noting the shutter speed and aperture each time, I then
entered the same info but in A then in S along all focal lengths for that lens. In each case the shutter when pressed in A,S or M was very slow.Same thing with the 40-150mm lens.
I then tried a 28mm OM lens with adapter and that worked OK. Is it me, is it the camera, Or do I need to Read The Book again.
I have experience of manual settings from my old Yashica days.
Regards

Dave

SteveJ 1st October 2011 05:00 PM

Re: slow shutter

Hi Dave,
You may have set the camera to anti-shock, this locks up the mirror for a few seconds before firing the shutter. This setting is for longer exposures so you have no vibration from the mirror flipping up.

Steve

jongonfishin 1st October 2011 06:05 PM

Thanks Steve,I will go and take a look
Regards Dave.

jongonfishin 1st October 2011 06:59 PM

Hi Steve,
I have just checked the anti shock setting and it was in the Off position.
Regards
Dave

Zuiko 1st October 2011 07:32 PM

Hi Dave, what shutter speeds are you getting? Are the exposures correct?

Maybe post a few examples so we can see the results and view the exif. :)

jongonfishin 1st October 2011 07:54 PM

Hi John,
Thanks for your interest. I will set my stall out tomorrow to take some more shots and keep the records then I will upload hopefully tomorrrow afternoon.
Regards
Dave

Crippledsandwich 1st October 2011 09:07 PM

Hi Dave

When you set the camera to A,S or M mode, do you adjust the shutter speed and aperture with the click wheel?

jongonfishin 2nd October 2011 10:55 AM

Hi Chris
The answer to that is yes and I have also tried setting higher and lower ISO settings.
Regards
Dave.

jongonfishin 2nd October 2011 11:04 AM

Hi All,
Reference the slow shutter speed problem, its seems to have corrected itself. I have just set up the camera on the tripod, used all my lenses including the OMs and every setting is working as it should. Sorry to have bothered everyone but I have not got a clue as to why it happened. If it happens again I will be back in touch but thank you all for you very quick responses.
Regards Dave