Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DPReview E5 Review is finally here. (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12963)

Ross the fiddler 4th February 2011 03:14 AM

DPReview E5 Review is finally here.

And here it is http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

*chr*chr*chr*chr*chr*chr I think, I hope ;) *ohwell

Greytop 4th February 2011 09:57 AM

Re: DPReview E5 Review is finally here.

Thanks Ross, it doesn't make for a great read though.
It does seem like dpr have emphasised the negatives more than the positives and as a result it does have a slightly ho-hum feel to it.

Ross the fiddler 4th February 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 101385)
Thanks Ross, it doesn't make for a great read though.
I does seem like dpr have emphasised the negatives more than the positives and as a result it does have a slightly ho-hum feel to it.

Yes, that was my impression too as I started to read it. This is one of the annoying things about certain magazine reviews too. It seems there is a requirement from someone that they don't paint Olympus too good & to make sure they highlight the negatives. In other words, a bias can quite often be obvious in these reviews. Having said that, it is still interesting seeing the comparison photos etc.

Zuiko 4th February 2011 12:42 PM

I didn't really expect anything more or less. I've come to the conclusion that you really have to be an Olympus user to "get it" and appreciate the overall advantages of the system. Let's face it, if we're not attracting many new users to the E-System it's more likely because of the Olympus marketing enigma than questionable "independant" tests.

snag2000 4th February 2011 01:42 PM

Interesting point about the marketing angle. Not sure if any of you read the Luminous Landscape site, but if you read the first 3 paragraphs of the page on the link below, maybe it will be illuminating....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

Mike

Zuiko 4th February 2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snag2000 (Post 101428)
Interesting point about the marketing angle. Not sure if any of you read the Luminous Landscape site, but if you read the first 3 paragraphs of the page on the link below, maybe it will be illuminating....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

Mike

Ain't that true! *yes

Greytop 4th February 2011 02:22 PM

I agree, Phase One do an excellent job with their PR, after-sales and support.
I don't have any of their cameras/backs (!) but I do use Capture One Pro and I almost every week there is an interesting article or useful 'how to' for Capture One emailed through complete with links to video tutorials etc.
And on the odd occasion that I have contacted support I have been thoroughly impressed with their attitude and can do approach.

Yes they certainly do it right and I imagine they attract and hold on to a high percentage of their customers simply down to this excellent marketing and after-sales machine, never-mind the fact that their RAW development software is one of the very best.
Oly could certainly learn a thing or two from Phase One.

stevednp3 4th February 2011 02:47 PM

Im surprised they was so negative, the sample comparison shots speak for themselves and was the thing that persuaded myself to stay with Oly when I looked at the older samples from the e-5 preview.

Kiwi Paul 4th February 2011 03:21 PM

It's a comparative review I guess, I've never used any of the Canikon equipment so I can't comment about how the E5 compares, all I know is the quality of the E5 (and E3) is fine by me for my purposes.
For that reason I generally don't read reviews often.

Paul

Nick Temple-Fry 4th February 2011 03:48 PM

I wonder how many will read

The future for Zuiko Digital lens owners might not be a reflex camera (we've had strong hints that a common live view only FT / MFT platform lies ahead), but Four Thirds isn't going away. (my emphasis)

Overall the review recognises the 'strengths' that Olympus has concentrated on

Olympus promised that the E-5 would give excellent resolution, and it does. Considering its relatively modest pixel count,at ISO the E-5 is capable of describing an extraordinary amount of detail, both in JPEG and RAW files

Even in JPEG mode, all nine lines of our chart are accurately described by the E-5 up to approximately 2600Lph, which represents excellent performance

At its lowest ISO sensitivity settings the E-5 is capable of excellent results, and resolution is very high given the sensor's pixel count. At its best, the E-5 hold its own against cameras with considerably higher pixel counts, and as you can see here, at 100%, detail capture is very high indeed

The resolution of the E-5's sensor in ideal conditions is higher than we'd expect from a camera with this sort of pixel count and, viewed at 100%, the quality of some of our samples is simply breathtaking. Something that often gets overlooked is JPEG color - Olympus has traditionally been very strong in this area, and the E-5 is no exception. Outdoor shots from the E-5 taken at default settings have a 'pop' that we really like.

I think they are saying it will take very good photographs indeed.

Yes, there are some reservations in the review, Olympus has chosen to excel in a limited set of practical areas, but the overall conclusion is that this a good camera.

We tend to read the reviews ready to bristle whenever a less than glowing comment is made, but there is a lot of positive stuff there.

Nick

OlyPaul 4th February 2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 101419)
I didn't really expect anything more or less. I've come to the conclusion that you really have to be an Olympus user to "get it" and appreciate the overall advantages of the system. Let's face it, if we're not attracting many new users to the E-System it's more likely because of the Olympus marketing enigma than questionable "independant" tests.

That a understatement John and at the same time an enigma.

The E-5 is a dead end in the E-system, I think we can all accept this even us Oly lovers.

So why would any publication web or otherwise recommend a system that seems at a dead end, that would be a disservice to its readers.And hence the reason only us Olympus E users get it (and that band is going to get smaller) because no one in there right mind is going to buy into a DSLR system that is seemingly considered finished .

I mean even the advert on this site is mockery

"has the low down on the new flagship of the Olympus E-System"

A flag ship implies a fleet where are the other boats of the E-System, it would seem they have sunk without a trace.

Now I will continue to use and enjoy the Olympus equipment I have and at my age it will likely outlast me and if not I will replace it with something else.

Having said that I'm still a Oly fan, but like some I will not defend it to the death and in all good conscience there is no way I could recommend the E-system to anyone starting out, so why should I be suprised when a publication will not?

Makonde 4th February 2011 11:01 PM

I agree. I think the review is fair enough on the whole. The E-5 is a good camera, and I am very happy with mine (with the lenses), though it is overpriced. I couldn't recommend it with any conviction to anyone starting out or switching systems, because of Olympus' own position. Shame they are not going ahead with new sensors for the 4/3 system.

But then, at the moment I couldn't convincingly recommend any of the other existing systems either. If one has to take photographs, the Oly 4/3 system will do just fine for now. In two or three years' time, we'll see what new systems evolve.

stevednp3 4th February 2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makonde (Post 101492)
I agree. I think the review is fair enough on the whole. The E-5 is a good camera, and I am very happy with mine (with the lenses), though it is overpriced. I couldn't recommend it with any conviction to anyone starting out or switching systems, because of Olympus' own position. Shame they are not going ahead with new sensors for the 4/3 system.

But then, at the moment I couldn't convincingly recommend any of the other existing systems either. If one has to take photographs, the Oly 4/3 system will do just fine for now. In two or three years' time, we'll see what new systems evolve.

Well said *chr

Kiwi Paul 4th February 2011 11:21 PM

I don't think the E5 is necessarily the last of a line, I think the next "E" system camera will be a mirrorless E system camera compatible with all current E lenses.
But anyway I don't really think about it, my options are to sell up now and change brands or to keep what I have and just enjoy it.
It's not imperative to move to the next updated model, if like me you enjoy photography and while appreciating the innovations and advanced technology that goes into new models also realize the futility of feeling obliged to up grade.
I feel reviews are sometimes a sales pitch, "You don't have the best so you need to move on" is the impression I'm left with often. It seems they are promoting technology rather than the pleasure of photography and making the most of what you have. I was lent an E1 for a couple of months about a year ago and when I look back to the photos I took with it I'm really pleased, it was an outdated camera lacking the performance of current cameras but the photos were (are) brilliant, you don't need the latest and greatest to take great photos, sometimes it's a better feeling to get a great photo with an older camera as that's down to the photographer!

Paul

Nick Temple-Fry 5th February 2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 101497)

It seems they are promoting technology rather than the pleasure of photography and making the most of what you have.

Paul

A very good point Paul, and a handfull of years ago photographers were making better photographs than most of us can hope to, using equipment whose specifications wouldn't even register on the bottom end of most current measuring scales (certainly with regard to iso/noise).

On Olympus timescales it'll be three years before we can expect a replacement for the E-5. That's a great period of time for us to develop our skills and for Olympus to drive the technology forward.

In the meantime, well the reviews say the E-5 takes jolly good photos, that's something to aspire to.

Nick

OlyPaul 5th February 2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 101497)
It seems they are promoting technology rather than the pleasure of photography and making the most of what you have.

Paul

So very true Paul and this happened when photography went digital and was marketed just like computers, before that it was all about the art and techniques and very little of it dwelling on equipment.

Internaut 6th February 2011 06:09 PM

Re: I don't get all the negativity about this review

I thought it was objective, factual and very clear about both the E-5's strengths and its weaknesses.

In terms of weaknesses, that Olympus is behind the curve when it comes to noise and DR is a simple given and anyone who finds these aspects critical might want to look at other systems. Likewise, there's been negligible R&D from Olympus in the area of AF in the last three years to it should come as no surprise that fancy new AF systems from Canon and Nikon fare better.

In terms of strengths, outstanding resolution from a 12MP sensor and the best OOC JPEGs on the market (along with the best weather sealing in its class - probably better than Canon and Nikon's flagships). Anyone who finds occasionally finds themselves up to their necks in mud and bullets (i.e. war reporters) or who needs to go straight from camera to publishing would find the E-5 a good fit.

Olympus do seem to enjoy making us wait to find out where they're going next though.......

Makonde 9th February 2011 03:50 PM

Very good link here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37659426

Greytop 9th February 2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makonde (Post 102158)

Some good points observed there.

Ross the fiddler 9th February 2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makonde (Post 102158)

Interesting reading.

With the magazines on reviews, most of them are now singing the praises of the Canon 60D (I've just been browsing the magazines at the News Agent) & although it is a nice camera (as far as Canon is concerned), it has it's compromises too. Marketing & the power of a large marketing company, I believe, creates biases & as honest (or not) as a reviewer tries to be, it still colours their thinking, including ommission or playing down of key attractive points of the smaller players in the market.

I think the above forum point raises my suspicians in this regard (& my bias against reviewers :rolleyes:).

Ausdrio 10th October 2011 08:11 AM

Thanks the information.