Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Whats next for Olympus? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47043)

WPJ 21st January 2018 03:44 PM

Whats next for Olympus?

What will Olympus provide us with next; will the OMD EM-1 ii be updated to a iii or will there be another new camera an OMD EM-7 perhaps or something totally different.

I'm interested to know peoples thoughts as the current OMD EM-1 ii appears to meet a lot of peoples needs, is still maintaining its price new. Used examples are now starting to show a slight price drop.

What do you see happening with Mft this year?

Ricoh 21st January 2018 03:55 PM

Re: Whats next for Olympus?

Re-release the Pen F, hopefully.

IainMacD 21st January 2018 04:34 PM

OMD E-M5 mark III hopefully?

wornish 21st January 2018 05:26 PM

According to 43 Rumours site the following things are likely

There will be a new E-PL9 announced in February .

A firmware upgrade for the E-M1II is currently in testing, no one currently seems to know what it will contain.

The E-M5III is also expected in the autumn of 2018.

Olympus did say that the rate of release of new bodies will slow down a bit so don't expect to see an E-M1III anytime soon.

Greytop 21st January 2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainMacD (Post 437980)
OMD E-M5 mark III hopefully?

That would be my guess too.

Olybirder 21st January 2018 05:37 PM

I think the E-M1 Mk2 urgently requires a firmware update, as it is dropping out of the limelight with attractive new models from other manufacturers appearing recently. WEX currently have six used examples of the Mk2 and no Mk1s. It seems that there will not be a firmware update for several months, though, as there are no convincing rumours anywhere at the moment.

Ron

pdk42 21st January 2018 06:09 PM

It seems to me that Olympus over-set expectations on a firmware update for the E-M1ii. It's now well over a year since we heard rumours of improved AF and more IBIS capability. In light of the G9 announcement (with its perhaps slightly better CAF), I think Olympus could do with a big firmware update to keep the camera fresh.

As regards new releases - I think that Wornish is on the money. I can't see a replacement for the E-M1ii until at least a year after the E-M5iii - so 18 months to two years IMHO.

The E-PL9 release is interesting. There doesn't seem much wrong with the E-PL8 IMHO and, at least in Europe & US, viewfinder-less, mirrorless ILCs are not exactly selling like hot cakes. I don't see the compelling reason for an upgrade. OTOH, the E-M5ii is looking tired now with its 16Mp sensor and poor CAF. I think Oly need to give it the same sensor and AF as the E-M1ii, but omitting features like ProCapture, PreMF, 60fps etc to maintain differentiation.

cliff 21st January 2018 09:56 PM

Better compatibility for Panny lenses on Olympus bodies and vice versa would go down a treat and help push the mft standard further :)

pdk42 22nd January 2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 438034)
Better compatibility for Panny lenses on Olympus bodies and vice versa would go down a treat and help push the mft standard further :)

I agree, but I can't see it happening.

Gwyver 22nd January 2018 04:50 PM

A faster long zoom (e.g 90-250 @ F4) with Lens IS & MC-14 compatability would be very welcome.

RobEW 22nd January 2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 438090)
A faster long zoom (e.g 90-250 @ F4) with Lens IS & MC-14 compatability would be very welcome.

I understand there's a 90-250 f/2.8 - without lens IS but commpatible with EC14 and EC20. Mainly useful for weight lifters I think. :-)

cliff 22nd January 2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 438043)
I agree, but I can't see it happening.

I do fear your right Paul but if enough people request it then we may have a chance, anyway it should be a win win situation if Oly and panny sell more kit that works better for the end users... everyone happy. :D

Gwyver 23rd January 2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 438100)
I understand there's a 90-250 f/2.8 - without lens IS but commpatible with EC14 and EC20. Mainly useful for weight lifters I think. :-)

That is why an mFT version would be welcome :)

Bikie John 23rd January 2018 09:40 AM

I suspect a 90-250 f/4 for mFT would still be a bit of a monster and cost a fortune. In Big 4/3, the 300 f/2.8 and 90-250 f/2.8 are similar weight and price (or were when they were new, anyway), so I think it I reasonable to project that an f/4 for mFT would be similar to the excellent 300mm f/4. Nothing wrong with that of course, if that is what you are prepared to pay and lug around with you, but not really the lightweight option that many of us would like.

Ye cannae change the laws o'physics, cap'n :)

John

cliff 23rd January 2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 438090)

Hi Chris, surly the panny 100-400 would tick most of these boxes, have you dismissed it for some reason ?*chr