Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Lightroom 5.7.1 64bit Windows 10 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43097)

oddbits 5th October 2016 02:00 PM

Lightroom 5.7.1 64bit Windows 10

Hi had to do a clean install of windows 10, (was an upgrade from windows 7).
Anyway bought Lightroom 5.7.1 64 bit and it will not open Olympus raw files , it knows they are their but says incompatable files , also have the same problem with nikon raw files..
I know lightroom should open the nikon raw but should it open Olympus raw .
Windows 7 had a camera codec pack but not one for windows 10 ?
Tried abobe dng converter but it will not see the orf files ?.
Anyone using Lightroom 5.7.1 and have it working with orf files ?..

Is it worth throwing windows 10 and back to 7 ??.

Richard.

DavyG 5th October 2016 02:24 PM

Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 64bit Windows 10

Have you tried updating Lightroom Richard?

Which Olympus camera are using?

Have you checked the Adobe site to see if your version of Lightroom supports the Olympus camera your using?

I suspect the problem will lie with Lightroom rather than Windows 10.

Dave

pdk42 5th October 2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddbits (Post 395357)
Hi had to do a clean install of windows 10, (was an upgrade from windows 7).
Anyway bought Lightroom 5.7.1 64 bit and it will not open Olympus raw files , it knows they are their but says incompatable files , also have the same problem with nikon raw files..
I know lightroom should open the nikon raw but should it open Olympus raw .
Windows 7 had a camera codec pack but not one for windows 10 ?
Tried abobe dng converter but it will not see the orf files ?.
Anyone using Lightroom 5.7.1 and have it working with orf files ?..

Is it worth throwing windows 10 and back to 7 ??.

Richard.

I'm using the subscription version - 2015.7 which I think is the same thing as LR 6.7. However, I used LR 5.7 and it worked fine with ORF files. Sounds like ACR hasn't installed properly.

Windows Codecs have nothing to do with LR but Win 7 ones should work fine with Win 10.

"Is it worth throwing Windows 10 and back to 7"? - Absolutely, but that's a general comment rather than anything to do with LR! I hate Win 10 - it's just so ugly!

oddbits 5th October 2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyG (Post 395358)
Have you tried updating Lightroom Richard?

Which Olympus camera are using?

Have you checked the Adobe site to see if your version of Lightroom supports the Olympus camera your using?

I suspect the problem will lie with Lightroom rather than Windows 10.

Dave

Hi . using the m5 mk2 . nikon nef file worked before the fresh install ?.

oddbits 5th October 2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 395360)
I'm using the subscription version - 2015.7 which I think is the same thing as LR 6.7. However, I used LR 5.7 and it worked fine with ORF files. Sounds like ACR hasn't installed properly.

Windows Codecs have nothing to do with LR but Win 7 ones should work fine with Win 10.

"Is it worth throwing Windows 10 and back to 7"? - Absolutely, but that's a general comment rather than anything to do with LR! I hate Win 10 - it's just so ugly!

Hi tried the trial then bought lightroom 5 as i do not like cloud, and to be honest i hate windows 10 , Nothing but problems and can not find anything when you want it...Just thought i would give a clean install a try before going back to 7 . Looks like it was a bad idea. Windows 7 codec pack will not install in my windows 10 and it looks like a lot of people have the same problem , without the codec pack explorer will not show thumbnails in folders , but it did with windows 7..
Oh well looks like i need to reinstall again.. :(

Bikie John 5th October 2016 03:58 PM

Before doing a reinstall, it might be worth just trying to update your current (new) LR. Even if you have just bought it there might be some bits missing which an LR update will pick up.

John

oddbits 5th October 2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 395370)
Before doing a reinstall, it might be worth just trying to update your current (new) LR. Even if you have just bought it there might be some bits missing which an LR update will pick up.

John

Thanks tried that , windows 10 wont show orf or nef raw files , and now will not run photoshop cs3 extended, and it worked with window 10 upgrade,
also now Olympus viewer is painfully slow about 10 secs to open a raw .
running a i7 16 gig ram and ssd drives, runs the latest games and can open a raw file lol...

DavyG 5th October 2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddbits (Post 395372)
Thanks tried that , windows 10 wont show orf or nef raw files , and now will not run photoshop cs3 extended, and it worked with window 10 upgrade,
also now Olympus viewer is painfully slow about 10 secs to open a raw .
running a i7 16 gig ram and ssd drives, runs the latest games and can open a raw file lol...

I'm running a similar spec PC with Windows 10 but with Lightroom 6 and PS CS5, it runs well.

I can view my E-M1 files in Windows Explorer however, I don't think it recognises the raw files from my wife's E-M5 Mk2.

It would seem a lot of people don't like Windows 10, I haven't had a problem with it.

Dave

DavyG 5th October 2016 05:43 PM

Richard, just a thought, have you let Windows 10 install all the available updates?

Dave

birdboy 5th October 2016 06:54 PM

Hi Richard I had LR 5.7 installed on a laptop running Windows 10. When I brought the EM5 MKII it would not read the raw files (*.orf) from the EM5 but did from the EM1. I had to upgrade to LR 6 to get it to work with EM5 mkII raw files. Ouch! There was some benefit by going to LR6 as the pano stitcher works really well and there were more lenses supported in the lens correction dropdown (especially the Samyang 7.5mm f3.5).

pdk42 5th October 2016 08:34 PM

The failure to display raws in Windows explorer and failure to read the raws in LR cannot be related. Taking each in turn:

1) Windows

I gave up with the Windows codec for ORF files some time ago. I found it didn't support the later Oly cameras and M$ seemed in no hurry to release a new version.

However, I discovered that the vintage 2009 Oly raw codec will display thumbnails fine for any Oly camera - including cameras post-dating its release since it simply displays the embedded JPEG that is included in all raw files. I suggest that you remove any M$ codecs for Oly files and then install the old (2009) Oly codec. You'll find it here:

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/supp...w_codec_dl.cfm

LR

I suspect the issue might be that the version of LR that you're using is too old for the E-M5ii. LR 6 has been around for some time now and the E-M5ii is a reasonably new camera. I'd try downloading the latest LR as a trial and see if that works. If it does, then I think you'll need to upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Invicta 5th October 2016 08:57 PM

Looks like Lightroom 5.7.1 is not officially supported on Windows 10

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5857

pdk42 5th October 2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invicta (Post 395391)
Looks like Lightroom 5.7.1 is not officially supported on Windows 10

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5857

I'll bet it'll probably work (mostly!).

oddbits 6th October 2016 07:03 AM

Thanks all for your help, Why cant adobe update camera raw for people that buy their software ? .Most of us can not afford to upgrade every year, Free programs like picasa faststone etc work without a problem , just not good enough for fine details .
adobe 5.7.1 may not work with orf , but adobe dng converter will not work with my oly or nikon nef files, can not see them ?.. So away back to windows 7 . Watch this space will let you know how i get on..

thanks all..

birdboy 6th October 2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddbits (Post 395411)
Thanks all for your help, Why cant adobe update camera raw for people that buy their software ? .Most of us can not afford to upgrade every year, Free programs like picasa faststone etc work without a problem , just not good enough for fine details .
adobe 5.7.1 may not work with orf , but adobe dng converter will not work with my oly or nikon nef files, can not see them ?.. So away back to windows 7 . Watch this space will let you know how i get on..

thanks all..

I did use Adobe DNG Converter at first with the EM5 mkII raw files and it worked OK just long winded and another file to keep that's why I ended up paying for the standalone upgrade.

Olympus should take note of whats happening here as new cameras seem to require new upgrades to LR if using raw files, an extra cost you may need to factor in when thinking of buying a new camera model:mad:.

As much as I would like to upgrade to the EM1 mkII if the CAF works I will probably leave it alone because of having to upgrade LR.