Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   E-group equipment hire (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   One of our hire 12-40s has gone missing (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35794)

Ian 16th December 2014 09:15 AM

One of our hire 12-40s has gone missing

Just to let everyone know that if they see a cheap 12-40 Pro for sale with the serial number AC5248325, it's ours. One of our hire customers mislaid the lens last weekend and although we haven't given up hope that it has been handed in as lost property - we are currently checking with the Police, etc., I would just like to put out this alert to save any of you and our customer any potential problems. Please get in touch if you feel you may have spotted this lens. I believe it was lost in Wales at Llangollen by the river there.

In four years of running the hire service this would be the first ever lens we have lost...

Many thanks,

Ian

scott76 16th December 2014 07:40 PM

Re: One of our hire 12-40s has gone missing

I hope it returns safe and sound.

Peter_Hartland 16th December 2014 10:35 PM

Hope you get it returned & hasn't put you off hiring.

Wee man 16th December 2014 11:06 PM

Not guilty; hope it turns up. Nice to hear from you pity about the circumstances.

Phill D 17th December 2014 06:08 AM

I agree with Ed it is good to hear from you Ian you've been missed around here. Shame it was for a problem like this though. Fingers crossed it turns up. What is the policy if/when this sort of thing happens? Are you insured or is the hirer liable for a replacement/additional costs?

Chevvyf1 17th December 2014 10:03 AM

Ian, that is a shame - I think your insured ? and sure you have a search on eBay for if it turns up?

Most people do not know that buying "stolen" or "found" with no provenance "goods" may be taken back to the rightful owner :eek: ... so cheap is giving away the cost :D

Hopefully, you listed it with Olympus, so that if it "comes to be updated" the Serial No is checked ? and the lens not updated ?

Ian 17th December 2014 10:10 AM

Yes we are fully insured but the customer could well be facing having to pay because, sadly, it looks like the bag in which he lost the lens was left unattended. I will do everything we can to help him to avoid having to pay of course.

Ian

PS If the equipment is lost through accidental damage or theft which is not due to negligence by the hirer then there is only an insurance excess charge payable (by us) which we expect the hirer to compensate us for. We have never had to do this to date.

Chevvyf1 17th December 2014 10:14 AM

Ian, that is good news :)

I found your hire services OUTSTANDING :) and may use them again this year :)

OM USer 17th December 2014 10:46 AM

Sorry for both you and the hirer in what sounds like an unfortunate accident.

drmarkf 17th December 2014 12:31 PM

That's really bad luck for you and the hirer (who I imagine is feeling pretty rough just now).

I really do hope this gets sorted - one does hear some heart-warming tales sometimes of things getting returned by Good People.

Ulfric M Douglas 17th December 2014 01:14 PM

I cannot imagine ever letting a hired lens out of my sight, let alone a top-of-the-range one.

I hope it turns up sharpish.

Janet 17th December 2014 01:37 PM

I hired two pro lenses a couple of years ago and although we'd taken out insurance, I was as nervous as hell!

Janet

Naughty Nigel 27th December 2014 03:55 PM

That is one heck of a lens to go missing. I hope it turns up soon.

It might be worth setting up an automatic search on the Devil's own internet auction site just in case it turns up there.

Zuiko 28th December 2014 12:43 AM

Sadly it didn't mysteriously appear in my Santa stocking. :rolleyes:

Pistnbroke 30th December 2014 07:55 AM

If you had fitted the bag with a £25 tracker you would have had a chance. I have a grip on my expensive Nikons but not to hold a battery to hold a Tracker .(dial on your smart phone gives you its location on a map )