Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Weather report (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12314)

snaarman 18th December 2010 10:29 AM

Weather report

I dunno what its like with you: We've had about an inch and a half of snow (yeah, big deal).

By 10 am someone got their car stuck (wide summer tyres) on our narrow housing estate road, thereby making life a lot more difficult. By 10.30 someone lost it coming down The Only Hill on Newbury just round the corner. They took out a street sign and sheared a street light clean off, car and lamp ending up on someones lawn.

I see the main road to Andover hasn't been properly cleared. Hmm. Looks like we stay indoors for a while.

How's it with you?

Pete

Janet 18th December 2010 10:34 AM

Re: Weather report

We've had about the same...looks lovely, but I'm not looking forward to going out in it after a nasty fall last week on the ice.

I'm shortly going to head down to the shops for essential supplies - if it's not too treacherous underfoot then I'll take Oly out for a walk in the woods this afternoon. I was ill with swine flu last winter and only managed one snow shot, so I hope to make up for it this weekend!

Janet

snaarman 18th December 2010 10:41 AM

Yes.. do take care. I've reached that stage of life where falling down is something I strenuously avoid.

BTW. I am amazed at the driving in these conditions. The hill where the crash happened is so steep its the only place round here used for hill start practice. Attempting to drive down it on snow in a family hatchback it just plain mad. They are lucky they didn't hit someone.

Maybe the really careful drivers are the ones who have already had "a moment" in the past. Thus aiming for national careful driving would require everyone has a heart stopping moment to educate them about summer tyres and snow...

Pete

maccabeej 18th December 2010 10:43 AM

Just got a light dusting so far but more promised. Looks like it may have put the mockers on evening out in London at my favourite Indian (can't trust the trains):(
Jim

David M 18th December 2010 11:32 AM

About half an inch overnight to add to the 18 inches we've had since last Sunday.

Edit;

Another couple of inches so far today.

Click29 18th December 2010 11:38 AM

Here in Nottingham - nothing, just frosty and crisp !
Hope you guys with snow get some great images.

StephenL 18th December 2010 11:42 AM

Nothing but a resolute -2c during the day. No rain, no snow (this time - touch wood!).

The (fake) Christmas tree has just collapsed, pinning the dog, who has ended up as the prime suspect. Well, it was 10 years old (the tree). SWMB wants another (tree). That means a trip to Bonk & Quiver on Monday. Grrr!

Seonnaidh 18th December 2010 12:18 PM

Here on the Isle of Skye (well, our wee bit of it) we had snow all day yesterday
and loads of it. Freezing temps overnight. Just hope we can get out of out glen
Thursday so we can travel south to see the family.

Garrie 18th December 2010 12:33 PM

Just as Stephen, thankfully nothing here as yet however I'm only about 25 miles down the road.

If it gets bad I'm certainly NOT travelling, not after the last time I got stuck!! I don't think I could face another 15hours stuck in a ford focus.

Adagio 18th December 2010 12:47 PM

About 1 inch here. I have ventured as far as the dustbin :D

PaulE 18th December 2010 12:52 PM

There's 6" or so here most of that falling all day yesterday, unfortunately the heavy snow forecast to fall over night didn't come :( but I'll keep my fingers crossed it turns up *yes.

Graham_of_Rainham 18th December 2010 01:20 PM

About 5cm. Beginning to ease off now.

Time to take pictures...

Be safe out there...

*chr

Who's_E 18th December 2010 01:27 PM

Well, South West London is in the grip of 2" of snow on all roads. Barnes Common looked lovely this morning.

Unfortunately we probably have the UK's highest proportion of vehicles that say "4x4" in the marketing blurb but are more "faux by four" in reality. Cue lots of dodgy driving.

I am looking forward to exercising the wife and baby later.

Nick

Homer Simpson 18th December 2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Click29 (Post 95459)
Here in Nottingham - nothing, just frosty and crisp !
Hope you guys with snow get some great images.

Same here a bit further down the road.

Had to get out the pickaxe this morning.
Our (very old) cat died yesterday evening :( so I had a deep hole to dig.

Shaw 18th December 2010 01:34 PM

Still snowing heavily here and very cold. Apart from one or two days we have had snow since 25th November.