Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trusty E3 has gone faulty (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8373)

Kiwi Paul 21st February 2010 04:44 PM

Trusty E3 has gone faulty

After 13 months of reliable service the viewfinder display has suddenly gone faulty :mad: , it started displaying every digit there was when I pressed the shutter button but now it's gone very dim and only a few of the digits are working, it's still under warranty so I'll phone up tomorrow and get it fixed.

"Sigh", now for the first time in 13 months I'm cameraless, how do you deal with the withdrawals?? Is there really life with no camera? Will I now be inundated with once in a lifetime photo opportunities that will never repeat?

It moments like these I wish I'd kept a second body.

Paul

Zuiko 21st February 2010 08:08 PM

Re: Trusty E3 has gone faulty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 66025)
After 13 months of reliable service the viewfinder display has suddenly gone faulty :mad: , it started displaying every digit there was when I pressed the shutter button but now it's gone very dim and only a few of the digits are working, it's still under warranty so I'll phone up tomorrow and get it fixed.

"Sigh", now for the first time in 13 months I'm cameraless, how do you deal with the withdrawals?? Is there really life with no camera? Will I now be inundated with once in a lifetime photo opportunities that will never repeat?

Paul

You have my sympathy. I'm hoping to pick up a spare E3 when prices tumble upon the introduction of the E5 or whatever they call it.

E-3 21st February 2010 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune, I just wondered roughly how many shutter actuations your E-3 has ? will Olympus not lend you an E-3 while yours is in for repair ?

Kiwi Paul 21st February 2010 09:28 PM

I think it has about 5 or 6K activations, I doubt they would lend me a spare, with any luck it won't be away for too long, I'll see if they will fix the view finder tilt while it's there.

Paul

peak4 21st February 2010 09:56 PM

Paul, each time mine's been away, it's taken about 3 weeks and come back looking like new. In my case, it was sent via my local dealer, though I'm not sure it speeded things up any.
It may have helped me get a replacement body though.:)

If you have an urgent job on, I've a spare E-500 you are welcome to borrow for the price of the postage.

benvendetta 21st February 2010 10:03 PM

When mine went for repair after I had it nine months I had one lent to me by one of the Oly reps. This was because I needed a body for a UKPSG studio workshop. I think I was lucky but then again I bought it from a really good Olympus dealer (J & A Cameras, Barnstaple, Devon).

Kiwi Paul 21st February 2010 10:07 PM

Thanks for the offer much appreciated :-) I'll ask them how long it's likely to take when I phone tomorrow. I shouldn't need a replacement if it's 2 weeks or so.

Cheers,

Paul

Kiwi Paul 21st February 2010 10:08 PM

I bought mine online from PC World so just dealing with Oly directly.

Paul

davidsa 21st February 2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 66025)

Paul

I have a cold complete with 'flu-like aching muscles and the feeling I have been run over by a (small, admittedly) steam roller.

I, too, wish I had a second body ....

David

Kiwi Paul 21st February 2010 11:17 PM

Strange, I had similar symptoms last week but feeling better now, I wonder if viruses can be transmitted over the internet lol. Better upgrade my Virus software.

Paul

StephenL 22nd February 2010 08:55 AM

If you feel the need and fancy dropping south to Edinburgh I can lend you an E-620 for the duration.

Kiwi Paul 22nd February 2010 09:15 AM

Thanks very much for the offer, I'll see what they say today but I think I'll be ok if it's not going to take too long.

Cheersd,

Paul

ndl0071 22nd February 2010 10:00 AM

Sorry to read your tale of woe Paul, I must admit I'm a bit paranoid I always take 2 or 3 bodies out with me just in case ('just in case' has never happened yet though!!)
Let's hope you get the E3 back sooner rather than later.

HGB57 22nd February 2010 12:41 PM

Just a thought - have you tried another battery? Or cleaned the battery contacts?
I read a post on another forum somewhere that someone had weird display and operational problems....and after an Oly 'no fault found' service he swapped batteries and no more probs......

Kiwi Paul 22nd February 2010 01:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but yep tried that and all the usual reset stuff.

I rang them today they will send a courier box and paper work to my house to put the camera in then I send it to them, she said turn around is about 3-4 weeks.

Bit of a bummer but nothing I can do.

Paul