Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Knash! Knash! Grr! Grr! Older age ........ (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40795)

Imageryone 10th January 2016 12:30 PM

Knash! Knash! Grr! Grr! Older age ........

Spoilt by technology :o:o:o

This morning the Sun is shining, so methinks " I will set The old E-1 and 70-300mm up on a tripod in the kitchen to click the birdies in the feeder", not feeling confident to go out yet :(

This was at 10.30. I duly set everything up, but, alas, no autofocus :eek: I took the lens off, cleaned contacts, replaced, still no autofocus. Checked the switch on the lens, no difference. Started trawling through the menus, the camera is stuck on Manual focus :confused:. After the E-3, which I have, at times, been very frustrated with the menus, I start looking for hidden menus on the E-1. Finally nearly threw it in the bin and gave up, very annoyed. Was just taking it off the tripod and removing the battery grip when I spotted the little lever on the bottom left of the body marked M..S..C and guess where it was set ?:o:o:o:o*note

Ever thought that technology would overtake mechanical switches, it has now !
Do I feel a fool ?????

Zuiko 10th January 2016 12:35 PM

Re: Knash! Knash! Grr! Grr! Older age ........

It happens to us all, David - seemingly more so as we get older! :eek:

Phill D 10th January 2016 12:38 PM

Been there done that too :) you are not alone.

snaarman 10th January 2016 06:32 PM

Oh yes..

Also don't forget the sliding focus ring on the 12mm lens that locks you in manual focus when you least expect it...

David M 10th January 2016 06:45 PM

Or having the 2 second delay set when you finally get the chance of photographing a Snowy Owl. :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham 10th January 2016 11:04 PM

I got caught out by the MF switch on the 70-300 :o

Walked all the way back to the car thinking it was broken...

*chr

Zuiko 10th January 2016 11:20 PM

I feel really embarrassed by this. Recently I used my XZ-1 for the first time in a long while. The battery and the spare both failed fairly quickly, but in the little time I had to use it I couldn't change the aperture or shutter speed in A or S mode - the control wheel on the back of the camera just didn't seem to work. It was only today, when I got around to recharging the batteries, that I remembered aperture and shutter speed are altered by using that nice ring around the lens, the one that I had completely forgotten about on the shoot. That's the trouble with beginners, they don't bother to learn how to use their cameras properly before they venture out! :o:o:o

drmarkf 11th January 2016 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 372872)
Or having the 2 second delay set when you finally get the chance of photographing a Snowy Owl. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I've proved rather more often than necessary that 5-shot HDRs of wildlife don't work too well, either. At least the first one is usually exposed correctly, but the thing's flown away by the time the shutter closes on the fifth :o

Harold Gough 11th January 2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 372872)

Finding unwanted delay settings, usually longer than 2 seconds, was a regular part of the sheer pleasure, which I now deny myself, of using the EP-2.

Harold

Anne 12th January 2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 372897)
I feel really embarrassed by this. Recently I used my XZ-1 for the first time in a long while. The battery and the spare both failed fairly quickly, but in the little time I had to use it I couldn't change the aperture or shutter speed in A or S mode - the control wheel on the back of the camera just didn't seem to work. It was only today, when I got around to recharging the batteries, that I remembered aperture and shutter speed are altered by using that nice ring around the lens, the one that I had completely forgotten about on the shoot. That's the trouble with beginners, they don't bother to learn how to use their cameras properly before they venture out! :o:o:o

You are not alone John. I bought a secondhand XZ-1 a year or so ago and I won't tell you how long it took me to work out that was how you changed the aperture!

Mrs T 12th January 2016 05:35 PM

Yes, only this week I thought I'd messed up my 40-150mm with the firmware upgrade as I couldn't select f2.8. Of course the 1.4 TC had something to do with it!

OM USer 13th January 2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs T (Post 373048)
Yes, only this week I thought I'd messed up my 40-150mm with the firmware upgrade as I couldn't select f2.8. Of course the 1.4 TC had something to do with it!

Must add this to the check list along with the snap focus ring.

Ralph Harwood 13th January 2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne (Post 373026)
You are not alone John. I bought a secondhand XZ-1 a year or so ago and I won't tell you how long it took me to work out that was how you changed the aperture!

I was about to return my new (to me) xz-2 as it wouldn't change out of manual focus - the options were greyed out. Just before I put it back in the box I found this lever on the front :rolleyes: