Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-30 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   AF Sensitivity setting (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19122)

Olybirder 2nd March 2012 01:23 PM

AF Sensitivity setting

When I am photographing birds with my E-30 I nearly always use a single AF target. However, I sometimes have trouble getting the focus to lock on the bird, especially if it is surrounded by twigs or leaves. I always have the AF Sensitivity set to 'Normal' but I wonder if 'Small' would be a better choice? I tried it once but on that occasion it didn't work very well, although I can't remember what the problem was.

Does anybody use the 'Small' setting and, if so, are there any particular advantages or disadvantages?

Ron

Nick Temple-Fry 2nd March 2012 01:39 PM

Re: AF Sensitivity setting

A lot of us use (or perhaps used to - this was discussed back in 2008 I think) the AF area set to 'small', this restricts the focus area to the size of the focus indicator (roughly), by default it is larger.

The other setting worth trying is C-AF Lock to ON, this holds focus even if the distance to the object suddenly changes, in this instance if you wobble slightly onto a closer/further branch.

Nick

Olybirder 2nd March 2012 01:46 PM

Thanks Nick. I will have to give it a try. I hadn't thought about using the C-AF Lock. I will read the manual and have a play with it.

It is very frustrating if there is a good bird sitting there and the lens is jumping about trying to get focused.

Ron

Falk 2nd March 2012 02:14 PM

I noticed that I get better results with Single+Small AF, when using extrem focal lenght, e.g. 70-300@300mm + EC-14. But this combo does hunt for focus, thats for sure.
Sometimes I feel comfortable with just Single AF, not having it set to Small. This works most often a little faster too. My casual shooting modus is the diamond pattern though.

With my new to me Bigma I am still in the process of getting the focus adjusted. Today was the first day with reasonable weather for this. I used Single AF Point, set to fine, for this again.

David Morison 2nd March 2012 04:50 PM

I always use the AF single target set to small, especially for wildlife and even for landscapes. It's what I'm used to and if for any reason I change it doesn't work so well. The only other AF mode I use is for in-flight birds against a plain sky when I use CAF all points which is a Myset setting linked to Fn button.

Regards

David

Olybirder 2nd March 2012 06:04 PM

It seems I have been wrong, having it set to 'Normal' all this time. I will try it on 'Small' on Sunday, assuming it is not pouring with rain all day.

I set my camera up according to Wrotniak's 'cheat sheet' when I first got it and haven't changed it much since then. I think I need to go through the settings again and see if I can improve anything.

Ron