Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen E-P1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   HELP! Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section) (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31508)

jamaljan 12th February 2014 09:31 AM

Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)
 
Hi..

So, am new to this mirror-less camera stuff. I had finalized to purchase E-PL5 when I got to know that a person in one of the local Pakistani forums is selling his used E-P1. He's demanding 190usd for it.

I was thinking if I can get a discount, like maybe get this camera for 150usd, is it a good choice?

I can get my hands dirty with it, explore its features and then maybe in a few months get the more expensive E-PL5 or if there is a newer version available.

I'm purchasing the camera to take pictures of my baby girl so is this camera a good choice? I'm currently using Sony Cybershot and Nokia 808 (41MP).

I also intend to make videos with it. Is the sound quality good? I've seen a few videos made by E-PL5, is the sound quality similar to it?

Please advise.

StephenL 12th February 2014 09:34 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Hi and welcome. The E-P1 is a good camera, but it is first-generation. I don't know how prices are in Pakistan, but it sounds a little expensive to me.

jamaljan 12th February 2014 09:42 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 278731)
Hi and welcome. The E-P1 is a good camera, but it is first-generation. I don't know how prices are in Pakistan, but it sounds a little expensive to me.

Thanks for your quick reply Stephen. I know its quite an old model but I was thinking of getting this used model just to get accustomed to the system.

The prices of mirror-less system are higher in Pakistan, for example the E-PL5 is around 100usd more expensive when compared to the prices on amazon.

Anyways, what do you think I should pay for a used E-P1 as I can negotiate with the seller. Will the camera be useful for taking pictures of my little girl and can it make good video. (I currently have a 41MP Nokia 808 phone which also takes good pictures and can make 1080p videos, so am looking for something advanced then that...) OR should I forget about this and go with E-PL5.

photo_owl 12th February 2014 10:02 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamaljan (Post 278732)
Thanks for your quick reply Stephen. I know its quite an old model but I was thinking of getting this used model just to get accustomed to the system.

The prices of mirror-less system are higher in Pakistan, for example the E-PL5 is around 100usd more expensive when compared to the prices on amazon.

Anyways, what do you think I should pay for a used E-P1 as I can negotiate with the seller. Will the camera be useful for taking pictures of my little girl and can it make good video. (I currently have a 41MP Nokia 808 phone which also takes good pictures and can make 1080p videos, so am looking for something advanced then that...) OR should I forget about this and go with E-PL5.

if you focus is on video I wouldn't go the E-P1 route.

the best things about the E-P1 were the fact that it was the start of the line, and it's looks (it was also pretty solid).

yorky 12th February 2014 10:43 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
the epld is a great camera. I would go with that.

jamaljan 12th February 2014 11:17 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 278735)
if you focus is on video I wouldn't go the E-P1 route.

the best things about the E-P1 were the fact that it was the start of the line, and it's looks (it was also pretty solid).


hi man...

I've checked the sample videos @ imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A.HTM and they seem ok.

which other model would you recommend?

jamaljan 12th February 2014 11:19 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorky (Post 278763)
the epld is a great camera. I would go with that.


hi man.. which is this camera? I googled but couldn't find olympus epld camera

Ian 12th February 2014 11:32 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Are we talking E-P1 or E-PL1 as we are in the E-PL1 board :)

Ian

jamaljan 12th February 2014 11:43 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 278776)
Are we talking E-P1 or E-PL1 as we are in the E-PL1 board :)

Ian

Oops... my bad... am talking of Ep-1 in the E-PL1 section :confused:

jamaljan 12th February 2014 11:45 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
hi Ian.. can you please move my post to the relevant section. Thanks

StephenL 12th February 2014 11:54 AM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1?
 
Done - no worries!

Zuiko 12th February 2014 02:07 PM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)
 
Focussing with the E-P1 won't be as fast or positive as the later models, the sensor is older and less refined (particularly at higher IHO) and it does not have the option of fitting an EVF later, if you so desire. Unless the price where you are is an absolute bargain I would avoid it in favour of a later model if you can afford it.

Ian 12th February 2014 03:38 PM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)
 
Sound and video (you only get max 720p using motion JPEG and about 6 or 7 minute long clips at most) quality are not bad at all, better than a smartphone for sure. One issue is noise from the lens focus motor being heard on video sound tracks if the ambient noise is low and you are using an older lens, like the Mark 1 14-42mm kit zoom lens. Later zoom lenses with the MSC logo are much quieter (and faster) when focusing.

The E-PL5 is a very big step up from an E-P1 - smaller and better in almost every way, but the E-P1 remains a very competent camera.

Ian

jamaljan 12th February 2014 04:47 PM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 278862)
Sound and video (you only get max 720p using motion JPEG and about 6 or 7 minute long clips at most) quality are not bad at all, better than a smartphone for sure. One issue is noise from the lens focus motor being heard on video sound tracks if the ambient noise is low and you are using an older lens, like the Mark 1 14-42mm kit zoom lens. Later zoom lenses with the MSC logo are much quieter (and faster) when focusing.

The E-PL5 is a very big step up from an E-P1 - smaller and better in almost every way, but the E-P1 remains a very competent camera.

Ian

Thanks, I think then I'll got with E-PL5 unless someone can recommend me another good option.. :)

Ulfric M Douglas 12th February 2014 05:43 PM

Re: Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)
 
This thread is pointless without knowing what lens is coming with the camera ...
The aperture of the lens and the focus speed are important for photographing your own children at opportune times when the indoor light may be dim.
I use an e-pL2 with Sigma 30mmF2.8 and bounced flash,
or modern e-pM2 with Lumix 20mmF1.7 without flash.

My e-P1 is one of my 'best' cameras but is only used in daytime outdoors and with the nice 17mmF2.8 lens.
It simply does not do a proper job in dim light with that lens.

But ... buy it anyway, if it comes with 17mm lens and viewfinder! Great camera.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger