Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   E-group equipment hire (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is there an up to date list? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50764)

snerkler 12th June 2019 05:53 PM

Is there an up to date list?

I'm wanting to hire the 300mm f4 (I've already done the try before you buy and I believe you can only do that once) but the most up to date list I can find on here is from 2013 :confused:

Is there a more up to date list and is the 300mm f4 available? If not are there any plans to get it?

ringneck 21st July 2019 11:21 PM

Re: Is there an up to date list?

Was there an answer ?

snerkler 22nd July 2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringneck (Post 485987)
Was there an answer ?

I've never received one :(

MJ224 22nd July 2019 06:55 AM

Why not PM Ian directly....*chr

Darkroom 22nd July 2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 485992)
Why not PM Ian directly....*chr

He shouldn't need to, however, the E-Group equipment hire facility seems to have quietly passed away some time ago.

If it was a question regarding Amazon, it would no doubt have been answered promptly. *yes

Darkroom

Zuiko 22nd July 2019 08:56 AM

Ian has probably missed this thread, so I've sent him a PM.

Phill D 22nd July 2019 09:26 AM

If Olympus provided a selection of their newer lenses to add to the hire list then that would be a great way for them to support the site with minimal effort and generate ongoing support from hire charges to supplement the donation effort.

Darkroom 22nd July 2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 486003)
If Olympus provided a selection of their newer lenses to add to the hire list then that would be a great way for them to support the site with minimal effort and generate ongoing support from hire charges to supplement the donation effort.

As Ian has explained previously, Olympus no longer support this site with any financial contribution. It seems the only interest comes from Mark Thackara who pops in occasionally

Your suggestion has merit but I doubt very much whether Olympus would consider supplying modern lenses to boost the hire stock. Sadly, in respect of this forum and Olympus being involved in any financial way, those good old days appear to be long gone. Apart from that, quite a few new camera and lens hire sites have now appeared in the marketplace to add to the competition.

Darkroom

Ian 22nd July 2019 11:22 AM

Yes that's the case, I don't have any of the latest lenses available. I am looking about how this can be changed but no promises. Sorry,

Ian

MJ224 22nd July 2019 11:51 AM

I can only add that I have used Ian's hire service (12-40mm pro). An excellent service.

If Ian was to purchase the 300mm pro, and a 12-100mm and perhaps the 12-200mm, at a rough cost of 4000 (very rough estimate), he would have to do a lot of hiring to get his money back.

How badly do we (forum) want to hire these lenses...……….Personally I tend to make my own decision on the specifications, and my needs, then take my chances...……...*chr

Walti 22nd July 2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 486016)
I can only add that I have used Ian's hire service (12-40mm pro). An excellent service.

If Ian was to purchase the 300mm pro, and a 12-100mm and perhaps the 12-200mm, at a rough cost of 4000 (very rough estimate), he would have to do a lot of hiring to get his money back.

How badly do we (forum) want to hire these lenses....Personally I tend to make my own decision on the specifications, and my needs, then take my chances......*chr

I feel for Ian on this, as the Olympus Test and WOW has really been spread to new dealers and this makes it difficult to justify an alternate service.

I rented the Mahoosive 300 f2.8 and TC 14 off him for a holiday for use with my Panasonic G3, which convinced me to upgrade to the EM-1 and await the newly announce 300 f4... so yes it is a great service and Ian was fantastic in his support, but its a big undertaking for an individual without manufacturer support, unless you're going for multiple brands of the really expensive rentable stuff... the 150-400 will be the first very expensive Olympus lens that'd be worth the investment/risk in my view.

Phill D 23rd July 2019 07:52 AM

I agree the retail cost to Ian to add new lenses would be high but that same cost to Olympus would be a tiny drop in the ocean and I'm sure repaid many times in orders from impressed users. I'm sure they pay a lot more for some of their one off marketing stunts.