Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Converters, adapters and extension tubes (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HELP! 50mm Macro, EX25 and EC14 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31026)

Ralph Harwood 7th January 2014 11:20 PM

50mm Macro, EX25 and EC14

Hi everyone!

I have been lucky enough to aquire a 50mm f2 Macro lens to go with my EX25 extension tube (Thankyou Cowboy!), but I have found that at maximum magnification with the two together the working distance is quite close. Can I use my EC-14 with this combination to increase my working distance, and if so in what order should I mount the adapters?

Any information greatfully received.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS I have heard said on many occasions how good the 50mm is but you really do have to see it to believe it!

IainMacD 7th January 2014 11:48 PM

Re: 50mm Macro, EX25 and EC14

Attaching the EC-14 to the lens and the EX-25 between them and the camera seems the obvious method, but I have doubt's about the results - it will be interesting to see as I have never tried this combo myself.
Let us know how you get on

David M 8th January 2014 12:23 AM

There's no right or wrong way. One of John Shaw's book explains how the different combinations have different effects. You'll be limited to manual focus as you can only use the tube or 1 TC and retain AF.

peak4 8th January 2014 12:34 AM

It's too late on in the evening to dig the kit out now, but I don't think you can even use manual focus, as the 50mm is focus by wire, and thus needs a camera supplied power source. An SWD lens should work in MF as there is a direct coupling of the focus ring.
As I understand it, the only way to use extender and extension, on a fly by wire lens, is to butcher the ex-25 to bypass the chip with some ribbon cable, such that the camera doesn't realise its presence

David M 8th January 2014 12:46 AM

Thanks Bill, all my macro lenses are manual focus so I can stack any combo.

Ralph Harwood 8th January 2014 12:53 AM

Hi there everyone!

Thanks for your answers

David M - no AF is not a problem as the plan is to use full extension and "rock" to get the focus right. I haven't got John Shaws books, I'll have to google him later. Provided there is no "wrong" way I'll try both and see what works best in each case.

Peak4 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 273192)
As I understand it, the only way to use extender and extension, on a fly by wire lens, is to butcher the ex-25 to bypass the chip with some ribbon cable, such that the camera doesn't realise its presence

EEK:eek:! I don't think I'll be trying that just yet! I'm hoping that the internal electronics in the lens will be able to control the focus motor using power from the camera through the EC-14 and EX25.

IainMacD - I'll take some pics and post some on here if i get chance tomorrow - If it works at all.

Cheers,

Ralph.

David M 8th January 2014 01:54 AM

It may have been John Shaw's Closeups In Nature.

Ralph Harwood 8th January 2014 03:40 AM

Hi there David!

I had a flick through the book on Amazon and even if it doesn't cover the use of extensions with converters it looks like a great book, so I've ordered a second hand copy. It looks like it was only published in America though, so mine will take a few weeks to get here! In the mean time I'll just have to experiment myself. Thankyou for the information on the book, I'm looking forward to reading more!

Cheers,

Ralph.

David Morison 8th January 2014 06:48 AM

This is one of the problems of short telephoto macro lenses - the working distance is very small which not only introduces focus problems but also lighting difficulties. Perhaps using it with just the EC14 will be a better option. A longer telephoto with EX25 will give you a greater working distance, my m75-300mm with Kenko tubes is a very useful macro tool, but with of course reduced DOF.

David

photo_owl 8th January 2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood (Post 273196)
Hi there everyone!

Thanks for your answers

David M - no AF is not a problem as the plan is to use full extension and "rock" to get the focus right. I haven't got John Shaws books, I'll have to google him later. Provided there is no "wrong" way I'll try both and see what works best in each case.

I'm hoping that the internal electronics in the lens will be able to control the focus motor using power from the camera through the EC-14 and EX25.

IainMacD - I'll take some pics and post some on here if i get chance tomorrow - If it works at all.

Cheers,

Ralph.

it won't work

or to be more accurate, it will only work at minimum focus distance with an aperture of f2 - who say's 43 can't do small dof!- so your 'rocking will have to be in increments of about 1/10,000" ie a focus rail would be a must.

just use the 50 with the EC14; from what's you have written this will give you appropriate magnification and working distance; with the EC14,EC20, EX25 and the 50/2 the extension tube is my least used option (but it's good with the 50-200 for flowers and large insects!

photo_owl 8th January 2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morison (Post 273214)
..... my m75-300mm with Kenko tubes is a very useful macro tool, but with of course reduced DOF.

David

dof is a simple function of aperture and magnification, and independent of the lens focal length ie it doesn't matter what combination of focal length and working distance you use to achieve your magnification.

David M 8th January 2014 11:22 AM

Closeups In Nature used to be available in the UK. I had a copy a couple of decades ago when I was still in the UK. I've never seen a bad John Shaw book.

gphemy 8th January 2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood (Post 273186)
Hi everyone!

I have been lucky enough to aquire a 50mm f2 Macro lens to go with my EX25 extension tube (Thankyou Cowboy!), but I have found that at maximum magnification with the two together the working distance is quite close. Can I use my EC-14 with this combination to increase my working distance, and if so in what order should I mount the adapters?

Any information greatfully received.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS I have heard said on many occasions how good the 50mm is but you really do have to see it to believe it!

While I don't disagree with any of the information provided so far, Ralph, especially the recommendation of John Shaw's book, I don't think it applies in this case. I do believe that you cannot use EC-14 and EX-25 together - the electronics do not permit the combination.

Piers

gazza95 8th January 2014 02:33 PM

Hi Ralph

Many years ago when E-1 was new there was a long thread about this and some very impressive images. The original poster had to rewire the EX-25 to bypass the internal chip otherwise firmware put it into manual mode.

This is latest thread I found;

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51916866

Will look for original.

Gary

Ralph Harwood 8th January 2014 07:27 PM

Hi there everyone!

Well I have had a play today and what everyone had asserted was correct - you cannot focus or use the aperture with both the ex25 and ec14 on at once, but after some serious searching on the forums older post there is a usable work around - set the lens up with just one of the adapters in place, set the focus to maximum extension then set the aperture to the required setting and press the dof button ( my e30 and e1 both have this). Now press the lens release button whilst the dof button is pressed which will break the electrical connections to the lens. I now can power down the camera with the lens release button pressed and the lens will stay set. Now with the extra adapter fitted the lens stays at full extension with a closed down aperture. Because of the stopped down aperture the viewfinder is dark (I took some at f13 for comparisons which I'll post later) so additional lighting will help, but it is usable just. Whether I will need or use this set-up is not so certain - even at f13 the dof is tiny ( about 1mm).

What I find amazing is the quality of the images whichever adapter (or even both) is fitted. It's not called super high grade for nothing!

Cheers,

Ralph.