Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen E-P1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Exposure compensation (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8087)

Paulpp 31st January 2010 10:32 AM

Exposure compensation

I may have missed it, but I presume you can't dial in an automatic exposure compensation so that e.g. all images have - 0.3EV?
And in the wrong place I know but can you do this on the E3 - I had thought so but can't find it anywhere?

Andel 31st January 2010 10:38 AM

Re: Exposure compensation

Have a read of this http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

I find his explanations so much easier to understand than the manual

my "standard" setting in my preferences is 1/3 rd of a stop underexposed

snaarman 31st January 2010 11:27 AM

Somewhere deep in the menus for my E620 I have set it up so that the centre weighting meter has a permanent +2/3 stop bias. (I find it helps keep shadow noise in check. I haven't regretted it yet)

So, if the 620 can do it I assume the E3 E30 can as well.

Pete

photo_owl 31st January 2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 63930)
Somewhere deep in the menus for my E620 I have set it up so that the centre weighting meter has a permanent +2/3 stop bias. (I find it helps keep shadow noise in check. I haven't regretted it yet)

So, if the 620 can do it I assume the E3 E30 can as well.

Pete

well neither my 3 nor 30 have it anywhere that I could find.............

theMusicMan 31st January 2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 63968)
well neither my 3 nor 30 have it anywhere that I could find.............

Me neither, but...

In the Menu > spanner F, there is a flash exposure +- as well as what looks like a regular exposure +-. This setting (I think) makes them the same, so... if you say 'yes' to this, then you can set the default flash compensation: Camera2 menu, to whatever you need. I think this will then replicate itself to the amount exposure compensation applied.

Just a thought...?

snaarman 31st January 2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 63971)
Me neither, but...

In the Menu > spanner F, there is a flash exposure +- as well as what looks like a regular exposure +-. This setting (I think) makes them the same, so... if you say 'yes' to this, then you can set the default flash compensation: Camera2 menu, to whatever you need. I think this will then replicate itself to the amount exposure compensation applied.

Just a thought...?

I had a search.. In the E620, the "Cog" tab, page "I" its called exposure shift :-)

Pete

photo_owl 1st February 2010 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=snaarman;64019]I had a search.. In the E620, the "Cog" tab, page "I" its called exposure shift :-)

Pete[/QUOTE

well ****er me - and I thought I had these menus sussed!

it's there in Custom Menu 1, wrench I exposure shift in the same way and, solves a previously unsolvable problem - how to dial in exposure compensation when shooting in M mode with auto ISO.

generally that's a blanket adjustment for the type of shooting (BIF, aircraft etc) rather than one off framing adjustments, and even this deep in the menu can be used quite easily.

excellent news!

now to work out if it's a 'my mode' programmable adjustment...... did I ever mention I wanted more 'my modes'?

Paulpp 1st February 2010 05:37 PM

If nothing else all these posts make me feel less stupid!!!!
Why can't the manuals be easier?

Paulpp 2nd February 2010 09:52 PM

Had an interesting discussion with someone this evening who thought that exposure compensatiion must adjust either aperture or shutter speed whereas I thought it was electronic wizardry?
Would be grateful to be proved right (or otherwise).
And in exposure bracketing I presume if in aperture priority then the shutter speed is varied and vice versa?

theMusicMan 2nd February 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpp (Post 64254)
Had an interesting discussion with someone this evening who thought that exposure compensatiion must adjust either aperture or shutter speed whereas I thought it was electronic wizardry?
Would be grateful to be proved right (or otherwise).
And in exposure bracketing I presume if in aperture priority then the shutter speed is varied and vice versa?

Hi Paul

Sorry, but humble pie is on the menu... your friend is correct. Exposure compensation does adjust the shutter speed or exposure - depending on what mode you are in.

If in 'A' - then dialing in -1ev for exposure compensation will increase the shutter spead by 1 stop, and if in 'S' then dialing in -1ev for exposure compensation will close the aperture (higher f number) by 1 stop.

Exposure bracketing is where you set the aperture, and if you say have -1, 0 and +1 for three bracketed shots; the shutter speed is amended for;
  • -1 (shorter exposure by 1 stop)
  • 0 (correct shutter speed used)
  • +1 (longer exposure by 1 stop)
Hope this helps.

Paulpp 2nd February 2010 10:19 PM

Thanks. Blast - I hate being wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

theMusicMan 2nd February 2010 10:34 PM

Sorry Paul... :(

meach 3rd February 2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpp (Post 64085)
If nothing else all these posts make me feel less stupid!!!!
Why can't the manuals be easier?

Just to throw a spanner in the works (and apologies to Paulpp for hijacking his thread), on all my cameras I can set exposure compensation. Fine, I understand that. But I can also set flash exposure compensation which I also understand. But when I read that I can set flash compensation to be in addition to the camera compensation or not ( I can't remember how they describe it - it may just be that it's on or off) my brain seizes up. Surely one of these must be wrong as they can't give the same exposure? Or am I missing something so simple that I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer?