Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   How to upload photos to this site (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51262)

RobEW 18th August 2019 05:20 PM

How to upload photos to this site

Is there an Idiot's Guide somewhere on how to get photos onto this site? I've managed it in the past a time or two, as I entered one of the monthly competitions, and I also have a couple of albums, but only after a load of trial and error, and I don't remember how. There seem to be several promising-looking but non-trivial possibilities whereas I'd quite like just one which is easy to use. DXO Photolab has a nice easy "Export to Flickr" button (and used to have one to export to Facebook before Facebook changed) which automatically (and I think intelligently) does whatever compression the target site needs, and lands your photos in a chosen directory / album.

Maybe the updated version of this site will have an easier to use photo upload scheme. I would sometimes like to share here but won't if it's arduous, complex or error-prone. I just found a way to add to albums but the error message said my JPGs were too large but didn't say what size they should be!!!

Sorry to whinge.

P.S. Nothing can be as tortuous as Instagram for uploading photos from a Windows platform! You need to go into Chrome and then tinker with some internal jiggery-pokery to persuade it to pretend to be a phone, giving the impression that Instagram really don't seem to want Windows users.

Jax 18th August 2019 05:33 PM

Re: How to upload photos to this site

There are 2 video tutorials on the right of the home page. They take you step by step from uploading to the forum gallery to placing photos in a post.

Jax

Jax 18th August 2019 05:45 PM

Allowable Image Types: jpg,jpeg,png
Maximum File Size: 512kb file size limit.
ZIP file uploads allowed (16.38mb limit).

The error message you received possibly related to the file size limit of 512kb not the actual photo size.

Jax

RobEW 18th August 2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 488215)
There are 2 video tutorials on the right of the home page. They take you step by step from uploading to the forum gallery to placing photos in a post.

Jax

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that.

Ian 19th August 2019 08:09 AM

Please bear in mind that the gallery system that the videos refers to will be retired soon (I'm looking at the second week in September, after we I complete the same modernisation changes on another of my sites at the beginning of September).

You will be able to use a more conventional and, hopefully, easier upload and attachments process.

Sorry for the inconvenience as we make these changes!

Ian

RobEW 20th August 2019 09:35 PM

I tried again, using the "for TV or tablet" export function from DXO Photolab. Still too large. There must be a way of specifying the required size but I can't find it. I'm giving up until the new site software. Other sites (Facebook, Instagram, Flickr) seem to do whatever compression they need under their own steam. I might have to delve into the non-existent manuals for DXO (an online help system).

MJ224 21st August 2019 12:47 AM

search for Image resizer for Windows 10....

For this site, you need to use the "medium" size, for Flickr and email generally the "large" option is good....

*chr

wornish 21st August 2019 06:57 AM

This might help.

https://help-photolab2.dxo.com/en/export-to-disk

The image size (Resolution) is set in the export to disk advanced settings