Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Chaffinch in Nest (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13775)

Danny 1st April 2011 07:23 AM

Chaffinch in Nest

Short video of a female chaffinch building and testing her nest for the coming spring. I could have watched her all day, and its amazing the effort these small birds will put into building a safe home for the young :

Thanks for watching!

All done on E5 and Bigma

art frames 1st April 2011 07:30 AM

Re: Chaffinch in Nest

Danny

Lovely, I especially enjoyed seeing how she was using her body to round out the insides. That sort of insight doesn't come from still shots and shows the worth of video. Clearly she is very particular especially finding a purpose for the cobweb.

Works well with the Bigma. I am holding back on the E5 but it does have so many attractions...

Peter

PeterD 1st April 2011 08:21 AM

Terrific Danny*chr

Just love the way the cobwebs are used to provide an elastic fastening to the branches.

ringneck 1st April 2011 09:17 AM

Yes it's great to see her working away,especially the way see was worrying to get that piece in just the right place....I wonder how long the complete nest took?
I was also thinking "Is the Male off down the pub while all this is going on".

I have been a small bird keeper for years and both sexes tend to do nest building together.

When I first heard about the video feature on the E5 I thought we don't need that........the minds been changed with all the great fun being had on the videos on here.

Keith *chr

cinders 1st April 2011 09:35 AM

Brilliant video. I wonder how they learn to use spider web like that? Almost akin to using tools IMO.

Chevvyf1 1st April 2011 10:32 AM

Tears of Joy viewing this! Thank You for sharing this awesome building work! This is by far and without doubt the BEST U TUBE I have EVER viewed !

AlistairJ 1st April 2011 10:58 AM

Very nice, great video quality too.

This morning I watched as a blackbird tried to pinch a piece of string from my back garden. It was being quite greedy. It gathered up several loops in its beak and probably couldn't believe its luck. Funny to see it try to fly off with 4 feet of string plus the bamboo cane it was attached to :)

My cat Alfie didn't see to mind this bird trying to pinch his favourite toy.

Wee man 1st April 2011 11:20 AM

brilliant thanks for posting.

Ian 1st April 2011 11:41 AM

I really enjoyed that :)

Sorry to be boring but what video editor and output settiings did you use for the file that you uploaded to YouTube? :)

Ian

Danny 1st April 2011 01:47 PM

Hi all - sorry for not posting today until now, work took over :(
Thank you all for the kind comments!

Nice to hear other stories of birds nesting too, great time of year for action like this.

To answer Ian's questions :

1. I use iMovie '11 on the Mac
2. I exported the project as 720p .mov HD for web and DVD use. I chose the 720p output as it was natively shot in that format, and I didnt want to strecth it to 1080p res and possibly degrade the quality.

Any other info you need, just let me know.

Danny

jdal 1st April 2011 02:29 PM

Thanks for posting that, it's a really nice video.

rsh1960 1st April 2011 03:39 PM

Top video , great camera work.