Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Mk III small focus point? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50499)

Eclairewilliams 5th May 2019 12:07 PM

Mk III small focus point?
 
Hi. My friend recently was the lucky winner of a 10 Mk III. It doesn’t have the very small focus point. Does anyone know if the firmware updates added it? Seems a backward step to only have a single but not small single focus point. Makes it a pain for macro if using AF.

MJ224 5th May 2019 06:21 PM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Kinda depends on what your photography purpose is. Certainly for little boids in trees the small focus point helps.

We managed with out that feature from AD 0001 until a year or two ago....…………..*chr

Jax 5th May 2019 09:58 PM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 480012)
Kinda depends on what your photography purpose is. Certainly for little boids in trees the small focus point helps.

We managed with out that feature from AD 0001 until a year or two ago....…………..*chr

The OP asked a sensible reasonable question which was "Does anyone know if the firmware updates added it? " Maybe someone else with knowledge of the Olympus E-M10 MIII can answer it for them ?

Jax

Wally 6th May 2019 06:59 AM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Having checked on-line this very question, it appears from many of the answering posts, :confused: that this feature is not present. Having said that, these answers do go back to late 2018. If your friends camera shows there are updates, then do the update just in case.

It's early days so, perhaps these early users were still working their way through the maze.

The ongoing problem, is that the beasts are becoming more and more sophisicated that for the average togger, too many features just add in a frustration factor.


Apologies if this post just adds to that frustration factor. ;)


Update: Forget all of the above... this may be what you are looking for -->

MikeOxon 6th May 2019 10:08 AM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 480024)
... this may be what you are looking for --> How to Set Small and Group AF Targets - YouTube


I think that's an E-M5 ii in the video so probably not applicable. There's a list of firmware updates at https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...e/firm/e1/#omd but no mention of small AF points. I suspect they aren't available.


On the plus side, the AF points are smaller on the Mk.iii than the Mk.ii.

I don't know what types of macro you do but I prefer MF, to make sure I select the precise feature I want.

Ross the fiddler 6th May 2019 10:49 AM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
The E-M1 II originally came with just 121 AF target areas & was eventually updated later with a "small AF target" after numerous complaints from owners, however, it would appear the E-M10 III just gets the 121 AF targets with a choice of All, Nine or Single, as per page 61 of the manual, E-M10 Mark III (Ver 1.1) (applicable with a Firmware update from 1.1).

Touch AF is also possible, giving the possibility of changing the size as shown on page 51 of the manual, which can be made smaller than the normal AF Targets.

*chr

MikeOxon 6th May 2019 12:31 PM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 480039)
...............Touch AF is also possible, giving the possibility of changing the size as shown on page 51 of the manual, which can be made smaller than the normal AF Targets.

All this raises in my mind the question as to what actually happens when one selects a smaller area rectangle.

As I understand it, there are 121 focus points, which, I assume, are special points on the sensor array that are capable of detecting phase information. So, if the 'standard size' rectangle relates to one sensor, how does reducing the size of the rectangle on the screen make any difference? What am I missing?? :confused:

Ross the fiddler 6th May 2019 01:21 PM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOxon (Post 480044)
All this raises in my mind the question as to what actually happens when one selects a smaller area rectangle.

As I understand it, there are 121 focus points, which, I assume, are special points on the sensor array that are capable of detecting phase information. So, if the 'standard size' rectangle relates to one sensor, how does reducing the size of the rectangle on the screen make any difference? What am I missing?? :confused:

On a non-PD-AF model such as an E-M10 III it should make no difference where or how big it is, just that there is enough discernible contrasting detail in the focus area.

MikeOxon 6th May 2019 01:55 PM

Re: Mk III small focus point?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 480046)
On a non-PD-AF model such as an E-M10 III it should make no difference where or how big it is, just that there is enough discernible contrasting detail in the focus area.

Thank you, Ross. To avoid cluttering this thread further, I shall raise the question again on the E-M1 thread, re.PD


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:00 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger