Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So what do you think it will be (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48455)

shenstone 30th July 2018 07:19 PM

So what do you think it will be
 
4/3 Rumours have started becoming quite confident that there is a new olympus camera coming

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-now-99-...-launch-in-q1/

What are you hoping for?

Ricoh 30th July 2018 07:22 PM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
A monochrome camera, no bayer filter etc. I'd buy if not priced stupidly; I'd purchase an M246 but the price is way too much.

shenstone 30th July 2018 07:50 PM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Now then... If I called you a "reet luddite" would that be accurate :)

drmarkf 30th July 2018 11:03 PM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Hoping for?
Global shutter, or sufficiently fast sensor reading to allow handheld Hi Res mode.
Solid 1 stop improvement in dynamic range/high ISO. Actually, 2/3 stop would make a big difference for practical handheld birding in early & late light with the 300.

Expecting?
Not a clue. I hope it’s not just some irrelevant (for me) video stuff.

Ross the fiddler 30th July 2018 11:52 PM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Simon says (like that?), I'll quote,

deleted for copyright reasons.

So, an E-M1 Mk III with a 24mp sensor of greatly improved ISO & low light capacity with a 6 axis IBIS with a 30% increase over the Mk II. A PEN-F Mk II as well (in Japan at least) but also the announcement of a 150-400mm f4.0-5.6 lens to come at the end of 2019 (as planned). :)

*chr

shenstone 31st July 2018 06:28 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Ah... so now I guess you are Ross on 4/3R :)

Personally I don't mind what it is just that Olympus are getting into the game of continued development & release which is even more important now that Canikon are moving into mirrorless

Regards
Andy

Wally 31st July 2018 06:55 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
I have to say that from my e-20 onwards upto and including my Stylus 1, they have, and continue to serve me well. Even the film versions I previously owned never let me down. :tup

Even my monster from the dark side continues to function as it should. :tup

;) However, after reading some of the other threads on user issues... I'd settle for one that works. *yes :D

Ross the fiddler 31st July 2018 07:27 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shenstone (Post 452498)
Ah... so now I guess you are Ross on 4/3R :)

Personally I don't mind what it is just that Olympus are getting into the game of continued development & release which is even more important now that Canikon are moving into mirrorless

Regards
Andy

Oh dear. I can't hide now, can I? ;) :D Actually I'm surprised that there aren't more Ross's using (M)4/3's gear. :rolleyes:

*chr

drmarkf 31st July 2018 08:32 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Is that all? What a lot of fuss about nothing...

:D

Actually I fear it might be a 24Mp sensor with minimal improvement in dynamic range. Market-led fluff *zzz

Anyway, weíll see. I suppose itís good that Oly is generating some excitement again among all the armchair CEOs on dpreview.

Ian 31st July 2018 09:02 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
I would not be averse to a 24 megapixel sensor as long as there was NO cost in terms of benchmark image quality.

I would like to see an over-size sensor as seen on early Panasonic GH models so cropping to different aspect ratios preserves more pixels. On top of that you could increase the scope of sensor-shift IS possibly. Impressive as it is already, powered gimbals really are a lot better.

Smartphones are really embracing machine learning (AI) and that could be an avenue for more reliable results without having to think too much about camera settings. That may not be a priority for 'real' photographers but it could be useful.

I'd like to see Bluetooth and GPS built-in.

Panasonic and Olympus should make their dual-IS systems inter-compatible.

60p 4K video

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham 31st July 2018 09:56 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Wishful thinking: I'd really like to see a control ring around the lens mount, as we had with the OMs and XZs, for me it was/is the best way to control the exposure variables.

I've always advocated the Multi Spot Metering of the OMs and the 8080WZ

Most other developments, for me are just a multitude of different flavoured icings on what is a delicious cake...

Ross the fiddler 31st July 2018 10:12 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 452514)
I would not be averse to a 24 megapixel sensor as long as there was NO cost in terms of benchmark image quality.

I would like to see an over-size sensor as seen on early Panasonic GH models so cropping to different aspect ratios preserves more pixels. On top of that you could increase the scope of sensor-shift IS possibly. Impressive as it is already, powered gimbals really are a lot better.

Smartphones are really embracing machine learning (AI) and that could be an avenue for more reliable results without having to think too much about camera settings. That may not be a priority for 'real' photographers but it could be useful.

I'd like to see Bluetooth and GPS built-in.

Panasonic and Olympus should make their dual-IS systems inter-compatible.

60p 4K video

Ian

Some good points & I particular wish they would combine Dual-IS & Sync-IS. I believe that was not part of the 4/3's standard but it breaks down the standard by not being compatible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 452521)
Wishful thinking: I'd really like to see a control ring around the lens mount, as we had with the OMs and XZs, for me it was/is the best way to control the exposure variables.

I've always advocated the Multi Spot Metering of the OMs and the 8080WZ

Most other developments, for me are just a multitude of different flavoured icings on what is a delicious cake...

There is already a Fn switch on the Pro lenses so it would be nice if there was a control ring, but I think we'll just have to keep dreaming about that one (or Panasonic will do it but then it won't be compatible on Olympus bodies).

Ian 31st July 2018 10:15 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 452521)
Wishful thinking: I'd really like to see a control ring around the lens mount, as we had with the OMs and XZs, for me it was/is the best way to control the exposure variables.

I've always advocated the Multi Spot Metering of the OMs and the 8080WZ

Most other developments, for me are just a multitude of different flavoured icings on what is a delicious cake...

The control ring is an interesting one and entirely feasible. It used to be the shutter speed on OMs. Some Panasonic Leica lenses have the aperture rings.

I'm not so sure about multi-spot metering though it should be simple to implement.

Ian

Ricoh 31st July 2018 10:20 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shenstone (Post 452475)
Now then... If I called you a "reet luddite" would that be accurate :)

Loosing the bayer and the associated processing produces a better black and white camera. Leica recognised the market need resulting in not one but two generations of the Monochrome, the first being the M9 derivative, followed up later by the M246, an M240 derivative. Check the price, new and second hand!!

What the digital B&W market is crying out for is a relatively inexpensive version. Bayer equiped cameras don't cut it, from my experience. That's one of the reasons I shoot film; the cameras are cheap, so too is film - relatively.

I would like to see one of the monthly photo competitions devoted to B&W, just to see how well the Bayer camera (u4/3 of course) handles true blacks and whites - without the assistance of an emulation algorithm in one of the fancy Post programmes that claims to look like Tri-X for example.

mik 31st July 2018 10:46 AM

Re: So what do you think it will be
 
Wonder if i will get a big enough pension rise next year


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger