Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Olympus in the Universities (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3416)

shirley 26th October 2008 08:34 AM

Olympus in the Universities

I was looking on ebay to see how much second hand E1 cameras are selling for and came across this comment from a seller.

"Olympus E-1 DSLR camera body. This camera was bought new, by myself, 2 years ago. It is still in excellent condition and full working order.
The reason I am selling the camera is because I am currently studying for a degree in photography up here in Blackpool and I can borrow all the best lenses etc from the college.
Unfortunately the loan equipment is either Canon or Nikon, no Olympus, so to take advantage of this I have "jumped ship" to Nikon so the Olympus has to go.
Were it not for the availability of this loan equipment I would not be getting rid of this camera."

I wonder why Olympus lenses/equipment is not available in Universities/Colleges. We all know that using Oly cameras is their best advert, wouldnt it be a good marketing move to get cameras/lenses into these places? Instead Canikon are there and by default taking satisfied Olympus users away.
Might be something to suggest to the powers that be Ian.

DTD 26th October 2008 09:41 AM

Re: Olympus in the Universities

As far as I know the equipment is bought by universities – they're going to buy the 'professional brands' i.e. C&N. These are likely to be what the students will use when they go on to work.

One of the reasons C&N are popular with professionals is it's easy to hire stuff/get things serviced etc.

In t'olden days Pentax used to be big in education, partly because the K1000 was a simple rugged, workhorse.

Olympus gave up on professional 35mm when autofocus came in, so had a lot of work to do to get anyone to trust them again as a long-term proposition.

The E-1 is still probably my favourite digital camera – but there was such a wait between it and the E-3, that I imagine a lot of people moved on.

There is a lot to be said for getting people young – I know Ilford do a lot with education for this reason.

Ellie 26th October 2008 07:21 PM

I saw a similar advert once before.

I think it's a pity, and perhaps something that Olympus could address by offering Universities sets of kit that students could use. After all, if you learn to take pictures using a particular brand you'll often stay with it.

dbutch 27th October 2008 07:57 AM

Olympus did do good student discounts on the E-1 shortly after it came out, for that very reason, but I'm not aware of any similar offers in recent years.

Dave

Ellie 27th October 2008 12:20 PM

But that sort of offer isn't much use if departmental equipment is of a different brand, more especially now when students have real financial worries because of the fees/loans system. They can't afford to buy their own lenses and other accessories, they're almost dependent on what they can borrow, which ultimately ties them into the brand they learn on.

It gets even worse when teaching staff don't have any knowledge of Olympus cameras. I've come into contact with two tutors in the last couple of years, in courses that failed for one reason or other, neither of them had ever handled an Olympus.

dbutch 27th October 2008 12:30 PM

Agree, but at least they were being pro active, and I'm not sure at the time if they were doing anything behind the scenes with collages to tie in?

I agree with the course thing as well, the comments the E-1 always gets when handled on the couple of courses I've been on are wow isn't it quiet and doesn't it feel/handle nice.

Dave

shirley 27th October 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellie (Post 28620)
But that sort of offer isn't much use if departmental equipment is of a different brand, more especially now when students have real financial worries because of the fees/loans system. They can't afford to buy their own lenses and other accessories, they're almost dependent on what they can borrow, which ultimately ties them into the brand they learn on.

It gets even worse when teaching staff don't have any knowledge of Olympus cameras. I've come into contact with two tutors in the last couple of years, in courses that failed for one reason or other, neither of them had ever handled an Olympus.

I agree entirely, thats what I was thinking. It might be a good long term investment for Olympus to offer equipment for free and maybe even some free courses?;)